I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Thursday 20 December 2007

My singing storyteller, 2007-12-19

So her current thing is recitative-type singing. She's doing it all the time, making up tons of songs on the spur of the moment, and some of them really good too, only she never lets me record anything really good. The other day she started this song with
I stepped out of ancient history
Larry and Pip and me

And went on to sing this very interesting song about their adventures, that included monsters and things. She flat refused to let me record her though, saying that there were monsters in the song, so I couldn't possibly record it. (Still has the idea that if you record a thing it becomes real...)

I did manage to sneak up on her when she was pretend playing, and catch a bit of video of her singing. She stopped when she dived under the table after that, and told me she didn't want me to record her...

Here's another new song from yesterday, this was in the context of storytelling, in a story she DID want recorded.

We are Grim and Rough (Click here to listen to her singing/recitative)

Two little trees, a branch, before
Before the branch is noble feet
Before and all before all the things
Before everyone you see
Before all there was to see
A tree is ever before a cobbler and all you see is all
Become is over all the things and
All the pops is here
Here is pops, here is storms
Here is racket storms, coming to the trees
With you, over, ha ha!
Little, little black you see
You see is all the things that you do
The thing that you do is not supposed to be white
Is supposed to be bad
You supposed to be bad (repeat 5 times)
For now
You are grim and rough (repeat 3 times)
You are grim
We are grim and rough (repeat 3 times)
Above all rough and before!

(Spoken: it was too helpless to be..)

Hey, I never said her songs made sense!

I still have to upload at least a portion of the hours and hours of recorded stories I have, not to mention transcribe them. Maybe after the New Year.... still too busy at the moment :(

No comments: