I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Wednesday 1 August 2007

Dinosaur adventures, late-July 07

And dimetrodon said to stegosaurus, “We have to find barosaurus, because barosaurus’s baby is lost”
So as long as the meteorites they saw that day, taking his baby to do that
Because oviraptors might snatch him, and mommy heard and is keeping to safe of oviraptor
Oviraptor was the (indecipherable) of the dinosaurs time
Baryonyx was eat fish and go fishing with polacanthus
And polacanthus said, “We have to find allosaurus and stegosaurus, because they’re big and they have hair conditioning”
“Hair condition while washing their hair”, said triceratops their friend
So triceratops washed his hair before went there, he run out in his garden and said, “There’s some good friends! I wonder.. parasaurolophus is coming”
“I have chickenpox”, said barosaurus
Yes, he said, “He have chickenpox, he’s sick, so he ran away... can you say the name?”
“Can you say the name again?”
“Ladybird... Comp Book... and New York.... by Triceratops...”, and he laughed
Triceratops, he laughed
“Ladybirds have been covered by the earth. You get up! Barosaurus, barosaurus”
Compsognathus, procoptodon, stegosaurus, barosaurus, oviraptor, baryonyx, triceratops...
Some dinosaurs behind the door...
And some dinosaurs might eat, and get up!
“Parasaurolophus! Can you arrive at my house, in there?”
“I can’t, because I am sick. I have to go to the hospital because I grow back my bones. There is nothing to do. So I have to come outside and not play, and lie down... because I’m sick...”
So, centrosaurus came, “DON’T WORRY! I will get you some medicine! So, so you will get well again”
Wonder, wonder what will happen....
(Indecipherable) I do nothing right.... this is my story right?
(Indecipherable) And stegosaurus said, “WE WERE (suddenly drops voice, indecipherable), parasaurolophus”
“OHHH... I KNOW!!!! Parasaurolophus! My people say real again! See, that better to say that”
Climb (indecipherable), also parasaurolophus!
So they walked to a open place
And this oviraptor find the eggs
And protect for each, about parasaurolophus, using a sharp claw to (indecipherable) upon leaves
Teleosaurus swipe at all, and compsognathus said, “Let’s find allosaurus, and be buried together”
He not find him, but he have velociraptor and those babies did hide
“Just us, better hide...”
“Wake up parasaurolophus! Barosaurus!”
They went away, he shook his head, “Come on! Wake up!”
And barosaurus (emits a low growl), and he did wake up
He said, “Are you bluffing? Hmmm, you are bluffing!”
So they all went to sleep. Compare! And see for it...
There protoceratops, velociraptor, (indecipherable), polacanthus...
SO!!!! Toy animals, right? (slurred drawling speech)
So!! The dinosaurs time...
(Indecipherable)
Brachiosaurus! Sitting by... (indecipherable sentence – probably invented words)
“Cat, owl, lemur...rabbit....frog
No, no, no, no! No, no, no! No, so it’s this... turtle... don’t know.... bat”
Some we saw so near the road...and outside in the stream
And the dinosaurs time have been (indecipherable) of the earth
And is night time! “I am go to the night time”, said (indecipherable)
So, they had to get out in the house, in the house today
Putting out the heart, thinking about the owl maybe, think they were pooor...
And their nightmares, and there’s nightmares again, and they hurried on...away...
They go in the backyard...
“Are they not?? What is THAT????”
“They live in that... they won’t run away, they’re carnivores....they, they actually eat lions”
“The, the backyard....I’m in the backyard!” (whimpering) “ouch!”
(Sounds like panting and randomly spread clicks, followed by whispering)
Some come another, and I will look, touch, tight! So tight it’s not comfortable, and said, “this backyard” (followed by two clicks), “I’ll never go anywhere!”
They protect him (too soft to hear clearly)
There they, “is it in the backyard? .. In the backYARD?....”
“This the backyard?” they (indecipherable)
“No....”
(her story was interrupted by daddy entering the room)

No comments: