I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Monday 14 January 2008

Death Dirge, 2008-01-13**

I really don't know what to say about this particular story... seems really shocking that this is coming from a 3 year old! The dirge in this story is one of the most coherent songs she has ever made up so far.

Listen to her tell and sing this story HERE.

p.s. just a reminder to readers, other than Corin, the characters in this story aren't human.


Hook went to the Interstate by a small dying fire. This is about a small dying fire getting caught in the hands of Cook. Hook didn’t know that Cook was coming today, and would get caught in the sound rooms if he blocked Corin (indecipherable phrase).

“That’s a pity,” said Hoon. “We wouldn’t block.” And Hoon covered his arms and folded his wings and tapped his nose on the back.

“Hm-mm! IF YOU HAVE A NOTE BLOCKER, YOU WILL STAMP!” He was caught in bad temper today, and Hoon didn’t know what to say.

Hit just hushed and said, “(Singing)
Hush a bye baby, on a treetop,
If the cradle will fall,
Down will come baby cradle and all
.”

Hoott was into Monsieur Dark. Hoon was still looking for Hash, and Hoon was still looking for Huhp. Hoon was still nothing, but there was a hopper thing. He goes around bagging and beggaring for more toys. Hoosh was still pushing and pushing at the few men. Hoon was still tossing along the evil train. Hoon knewed that he was macer(?) but Hoott still known that we can save the day as Hoott.

“Don’t be sad,” said Hoon. “We will here to help you.”

Hook was still looking for Bep and he saw... Hoon got out of the trees. Want to find Hoon. Hoon was looking for a daughter, give Hoon bellatrees(?) because he doesn’t like any bus or bish(?) or one two penny or Hoon.

“(Sings slowly)
One a pet, to feel alone
Oh back to one merry hour...

Hook sang as he walked to the big black tree alone.

“With no cat I can’t avoid being alone with that I see
If I see no big body, old fat spider spinning in a tree
Oh, and I will die forever
And I couldn’t see what can be”

He walked on and on. As the music sang he lighted his candle, and sang on and on

“Three pennies a day, three pennies a day
I couldn’t be alone if I will die alone
I couldn’t be alone because there couldn’t be a bed
To a bed and unknown to unknown

If you can be near a comband(?)
If you can also be a comband(?)
If you can be a little bit perse(?)
Ah, you can help me
Just one a penny near”

“If,” said Hoon

“Here’s a penny, Hook a penny,
Near a berry base
It sang merrily as it cut
It doesn’t become any more...

If... you can be near a very small tie
If you be dead, if you be dead
If you be no more, no more sang...

I will be along the doorstep
If you see me alone
At last... and you die,
Near a wisdom that you can see
Before, before, before you die”

On the flat ground he moaned and groaned. And the horse was poisoned. And we walked on and on until he (drops to a whisper) found a friends at last.

(To me: There’s no more stories. This is the end. This is the end of stories.)

Transcriber's note: She obviously didn't mean it when she said the end of stories because she told another two stories a few minutes after this one! :)

No comments: