I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Thursday 17 April 2008

First Lego Movie, The Rescue of Eomer and the Repentance of Jasmine, 2008-04-16

This is our first attempt and rather pathetic, but since we put in so much effort, I thought I'd like to share anyway. It's less than a minute long. The story idea was Bethany's of course. I took the photos then strung them together in Windows Movie Maker. Then we recorded the voice overs - that wasn't easy, since B didn't feel like doing it again by then. In the end we had to get started on some other similar themed pretend play and I just let the recorder run and ripped various clips from there. I also added some sound effects too.

I think our crude film making meant that a lot of Bethany's storyline was lost, so here it is: Jasmine was an evil giant enchantress who was lying in wait for an unsuspecting victim to kidnap and take back to her cave for whatever purpose. The guard returning from duty was her victim. Then the rest of the army got mobilized to go rescue him. He was trapped within the tunnels (cardboard tubes) under which Jasmine sat when they confronted her. She refused to hand him over of course, so they pulled out their secret weapon, a ring with the captured light of Earendil (the Elven star in LOTR) which when shone directly on anyone or anything has the magical power to transform them into someone/something good (all B's ideas of course, not mine!) After that she handed the captive back to his leader. Then they gave her The One Ring, which had also been transformed by Earendil's light and now instead of bringing out any evil in a person instead amplifies their 'goodness'.

1 comment:

Moomykin said...

It must have been quite fun to do it, but I know it's just not the same to have to do it again. Sometimes with the boys too, their so funny, but you just can't get a replay.

p/s- great lego set!