I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Sunday 6 April 2008

The Song of the Barrow Wights, 2008-06-04**

The Barrow Wights in the Lord of the Rings have quite caught her imagination. She's been doing a lot of pretend play with them, and today she made up a long song about them too. I only got the last couple of minutes on video, but here it is.

Here is the poem

The Song of the Barrow Wights, an original song by Bethany

The barrow will not run along
Or lock away from man
Away from the moon, away from the spoon
Then the way... was locked!
Away from the moon, away from the spoon

Oh my tummy is round
With a tummy's old sound
With a rum, with a tumble
With a bum, with a bumble
A rum with a bumble with a slam....ble

With a tummy old rum, they slammed away
Away from the moon, away from the spoon
Away from the sun, away from the spoon
Away they go, away...

Without a word they imagined Hoon
But with us
Without a number they ran and saw

Far under the old stones, all right
They saw a bunch of barrow wights

Far in the Old Forest we saw...
A bunch of barrow wights
They gave us quite a fright
They gave us such a fright

Away we ran, but they caught us
(Indecipherable phrase)
We cried... cried...

But they away and into the night they ran


2 comments:

Moomykin said...

Wow! Is she really playing or just pretending? I am so amazed!!

Glad she is at the piano. Does she let you play yet?

Bethany said...

She is really playing, in that she is really pressing down the keys and accompanying herself singing and all that, but she is pretending in that she isn't reading the notes from that book in front of her or anything and neither have I taught her how to play the piano (as if she'd let me!)

Yes, she does let me play again nowadays. Such a relief! :)