I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Monday 29 October 2007

Adventures Deep in the Forest, 2007-09-13

Transcribers note: Her word of the day seems to be "scampered"

They scampered down into the open woods, into the dark new forest. They were holding their lamp, so they can see where they were going and where they’re on. It was very far away. It was very far away. It was very far away, and very teeny... they walked deeper into the woods and they found something that led to the broad bend, but it was not like Chin. Chin’s one was very hard and on, and very slim. He had scampered down into the deep woods, and scampered up into the orange wood.

“ALADAR!!! ARE YOU DOING ANYTHING???”

And he said, “No I’m not!”

He scampered down into the deep woods. And he zeroed down, deeper into the woods. And scampered up, he scampered down again. Till he went to his friend. “I remember, that you told me you won’t run away from me and my friends.”

“You said there was monsters deeper into the woods, right? So never goed in there. Deeper in there, there will be inside it. And there will be Vims down on it, down deeper into the forest you will find New York (?) in the Shims of the It. (She uses a lot of her own made-up names that can make some stories rather confusing!). And the It will tell you you have to go deeper more into the woods, right? So I never run away from you, or not from my friends either.”

“You have to just stay with me, I’m a friend. And you have to be on my shoulder and back. You don’t want to fall down right?”

So he stepped on his shoulder again, and didn’t move.

“Good boy!” said Aladar. “So you stepped on my back now. Now you are with my friends and me too. Aha!” he said.

They were going deeper into the woods, until Aladar shot something. It was a knight, one of the knight, then Aladar said, “You told I won’t run away,” he said, “you won’t run away?”

They walked deeper and deeper, and the guard there told them not to go deeper into the woods, and not into Shims and not into Shins and not into Shims and not into Ships and not into Shims and not into night on (indecipherable) trip.

“What is that noise?” What is that noise said. “What is that sound coming from the window?”

Aladar said, to what is that noise said, “Shall we get very very deep into the woods, so you not supposed to go into the woods with me. What is that Ship? What is that Ship who are very terrified to hear what is that noise? Someone making that noise for?”

He said, “What is that noise? Why is Aladar’s friend... thing walking... what is that thing walking? What is that thing walking?” said Shim, terribly looking at the service from Aladar’s two places.

Aladar said, “I’m not like a Ship, I’m like Dorin(?),” he said. And Dorin said, “I’m his friend.”

Aladar said, “There is not so much of thingymajiggy.” And there was old pages and new pages again, and old pages. They were living inside one of the (indecipherable), and they were injured, inside one of the things. One of the Zips, and one of the Zipson. One of the Zipsoff was very very slim.

They were very on (indecipherable). And they was down into deeper into the forest, and they goed, clambered into, on Shim. And they were on one of the bad Shims (c.f. the Shim Davinoars that she explained about some time before – one of her invented creatures...). They said, “Go clamber down onto the Shim, right?” And they goed down.

“Would I move to the deeper forest?” And there were Shims packed into the deep forest. They clambered down into the deep forest. They clambered up and up into the deep well and slide down one of the Shims, then Aladar told him not to go by his self.

“Ssshh!” Aladar said Onn was very very off it. He goed on one of the plans, and the plans looked up and saw Aladar on as he clambered up deeper into the forest. They goed, “(Whispering) Ssssh! Aladar... (indecipherable phrase) today.”

“(Still whispering) Yes I know, I will be careful. (Another 45 seconds of indecipherable continuous whispering).”

(Indecipherable phrase in a high squeaky voice)

On ships, one of the ships were going on to off there, Kim’s. He travelled in. He travelled into the deep blue sea.

Aladar scampered deep into the deep forest. He was by his self and lonely. There was his friends! “Ah, I know where is it,” said Jen.

Chapter Four, Without This.

There was Zip, said “Where is my other friend Zip, too?.... Ah! I know,” said Zip. “I will just swim... I swim there.” And he dived. “Ah! I know where is that noise!” He scampered into the deep blue forest to find one of his friends. He scampered deeper into the forest to find his good friend.

“I remember! Seeing go,” Aladar said. “You pointing, I remember. You point out Corin to the deep forest, right? But he not going into the deep forest, right? (Whiny voice) You point to go inside, but I like to go with them. They were into the forest with you that morning. But your friend died. How can play with your friend?”

“He very big and strong, but I like that.”

“To be... my friend killed...”

“What?? Why???... I like him so much... fetch his doctor...”

“Doctor...”

“You can play with his skyship. And he’s very noisy today. You can’t play with him, you can’t play with him today.”

“You can’t play with him today, right? He’s very noisy today, and very seeming.”

“So I will take you to the bed”

“But why???”

“Because he’s very on... on it today. And he’s kind, because his mommy is very (indecipherable)”

“WHY????”

“Because he is Bin’s friend and you can’t play with him today because he wants his mama to hold his hand, so he won’t play with you today.”

“BUT I LIKE!!!!!!!!!”

And he said, “I want your friend.”

“I like that noises,” she said to Corin, carefully... Bin.

Aladar said, “(Whispers) Ssssh! That not right (indecipherable next few seconds).”

No comments: