I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Monday 19 November 2007

Corin Transcends Two Worlds, 2007-11-17**

I bought a new top-quality recorder, specially to record her stories with better clarity, and also to allow me to record her from a distance (since she sometimes so strongly objects to being recorded at all!) It's a Zoom H2, and it works perfectly! As a result of my new toy, I have almost an hour's worth of new stories from only yesterday and today. I may at some point revert to merely posting the MP3s and not transcribing them at all, since I'm so slow with the transcriptions (they take up a lot of time, that I don't always have!), esp. since with this new recorder I think nobody should have any problem understanding her speech.

So here's the first story I recorded on the new recorder.

This story appears to lack coherence in parts, but if you read/listen to the entire thing, is overall not at all aimless. She introduces some very interesting new ideas here: Corin being a part of two different worlds or perhaps times, Corin masquerading as Fatty and confusing the others. Her vocabulary and language is as usual phenomenal, although she appears to have also defined and used several new words of her own invention within this story (I don’t think they are mispronunciations of other words – she picks up, by some sort of osmosis I’d say, new words from the various storybooks we read together – that’s how I usually know what words she means, besides being very familiar with and able to understand her typical toddler mispronunciations).

LISTEN TO HER TELL THIS STORY HERE

Corin was down in the dumps thinking he wouldn’t die for ever and ever. But he did die forever and ever and ever.... ever! And he raced off, in full speed before he died.

“A long time ago,” he wondered. “Maybe long time ago, that I died.... Then I went to this world, and maybe I died.” He wished he wasn’t at home, so he could visit the merry-go-round and all the other countries that he didn’t seen before. He called it Five Garden Pool. Larry said, “That.... what’s that?” he said.

“Pull off this, I have a stomach ache. I have a stomach ache, so I couldn’t come in,” said Larry.

“But you have to!” said Fatty. “It says ‘Fatty and Larry could only go in. Not Pip.’ No Pip’s in – wrong if you have a Pip there.”

“Ba ba ba,” said Larry. “This is NOT a proper way! It’s just ‘ba ba ba’,” said Larry in disgust. “It’s just ‘ba ba ba’. It’s not anything else, just ‘ba ba ba’”.

“Why you say ‘ba ba ba’? Not ‘ba ba ba’... it look says ‘oonch oonch’”.

“Oonch oonch???.... what’s that???” said Larry.

Corin leapt down. It was Seranjy. Seranj looked down at his servant. Looked down at Corin... amazing feature. He looked.

The footmarks of Corin were down at the steps of the wait.... the wait room. Good! They could slip in quietly without seeing anyone pass by. They went in cautiously down the steps, and soon found themselves in a Lorenzo case. They looked at the Koompt.

“Good. Old Fatty’s only there.”

They slipped in quietly through the steps to the wardrobe, to the Lorenzo’s, but they weren’t there. The Lorenzo’s case was locked up. And they get out from the other door. They popped late in, properly. The little poodle was standing... Poppet was delighted to see them. She danced around their ankles, feeling hopefully they wouldn’t go. They went! And she barked loudly when they went.

“Dear little poodle. I hope no one might pinch her,” said Bets. “Dear little poodle, I hope you wouldn’t get pinched by those Lorenzos. I hope not.”

Fatty said, “She wouldn’t... she’s very kind! She wouldn’t hurt us. She’s a just dog.”

“Oh, Fatty, is this a Lorenzo case? I hope it’s a Lorenzo case... we like Lorenzo cases...”

“Ya. The Poppet the little poodle doesn’t know how to solve anything (chuckles). So she just lives with the Lorenzos.”

“Oh! Is it anything else?” said Bets. “I do know something else... the Grinch.”

“The Grinch????..... what’s the Grinch?” said Larry.

“The Grinch is something like Koop,” said Fatty in disgust. “I will tell you later that because it’s so quiet here that we couldn’t talk!”

Larry needs some... Larry said, “Some space for me.... there’s some space for me? Where I can do something? I want to just sneak around and see if anything punching happen.” Then they scurried off with the delighted Buster on Fatty’s ankles, dancing delightedly at Fatty, keeping a watch out for Mr Goon.

Hoon was down at Fatty’s shed. They were all gathering up a competition.

“Look!” said Larry. “There’s a discovery... about the Lorenzos.”

“Where were the Lorenzos? And where was Corin?”

“Corin???... who’s Corin?” said Larry in disgust. “Who is he?”

“He’s the one that we helped. That he helped up solve the mystery... Tally-Ho Cottage. That morning, he leapt and yelled for ‘Help! Help Larry!’”.

“Oh!” said Larry. “Oh... so that what it is. It’s about something else, that someone locked up them,” said Larry. “Look. Look at this.” He smiled with looked at the delighting poodle.

“Larry.... Poppet. Take a mirror picture.”

“Look!” said Larry, a grin on his face, appeared down on his grim other muscle face. And the cross face went on Corin’s. They taked the smile of Poppet the poodle.

“I hope you wouldn’t get punchit(?) of those Lorenzo case.”

“Ya,” said Fatty. I hope she would do that too. To the little poodle. I hope they wouldn’t.... She’s so kind! to us that she couldn’t hop a bit fast. (Hums cheerfully) Hm hm hm hm, (sings) shaggy eyebrows, shaggy eyebrows.”

“Look,” said Larry, a grin on his face filled the room! Delighted to see all of them together. They looked at delighted Buster that was dancing around their ankles for a while and licking Fatty on the back.

Good old Buster! He was safely in the room, getting up each of the children’s licks on his fur. He leapt and yelled. But Larry said, “No, don’t do that Buster! That’s an awful noise. Everyone will hear it and run away. Also Poppet, the little poodle.” To his left, Poppet the little poodle’s nose begin to fade down at Buster’s little lick on her face.

“Goodbye!” said Fatty to Poppet. Poppet didn’t like them to go. She was dear.

“I hope she wouldn’t have punchit this.. this old Lorenzo case. I hope she wouldn’t get punchit of the Lorenzos. I hope,” said Larry.

“I hope too,” said Fatty.

“Also me,” said Pip. “But I’m a little bit punchit about her... Lorenzos. They keep punching her all the time. If they listened to us they will still punchit her – the Lorenzos are very naughty. They always listen to the Lorenzos that are the same ones, and the also went... go down at them. See you Poodle. She always don’t want anyone to go!”

“Silly, she’s silly. I call her silly because... Corin’s naughty.”

“You call her silly because Corin is naughty?”

“Ya! Look, he always likes to go up and lick Corin’s feet. Don’t feed and, and...”

“Stop that now! You two... I want to listen to something that aggravating. And can you tell me Fatty?”

Fatty said, “I couldn’t, because the other one is talking and wants to know depested(?) things, like my own stories.”

“OH!” said Bets. “I’m not waiting for my turn, I’m waiting for someone else’s turn.”

“Oh,” said Fatty. “Pip, can you tell her?”

Pip said, “UH! UH! UH!”

“Then you have to wait for your turn Bets,” said Larry. “You just wait.”

“Just wait? But I don’t want, I wouldn’t wait. It’s scary for me to wait here all by myself. It’s aggravating, I couldn’t wait now. For once, down in his dumps.”

“It aggravating,” said Larry. “No one else is recording anyone! Is.. is... is.... is anyone.... here,” said Larry. “Yay!” said Larry

“Yay!” said Fatty. “Yay!” said Larry. “Yay!” said Fatty. (Chuckles) They saying “Yay” because all of them having a show.

“YAY!” said Larry. “Yay!” said Pip (breaks into laughter). All of them are saying “Yay.”

“Corin, LARRY!!”

“Ssh! Be quiet Larry..... Pip. Knowing someone might see us in the play yards and lock... that might be Mr Goon, the rich policeman.” Mr Goon always follow them around when they solving mysteries.

“Leading him a dance also,” Larry said. “We are also leading him a dance, Corin.”

Corin said, “ARGH! I’m not. I’m pretending. Just pretending to be Fatty.”

“Oh. So you’re following us around?”

“Ya!” said Fatty. “He was pretending to be me then. That’s the real Fatty.” The other one, Corin, they didn’t know it WASN’T Fatty. They know they didn’t know if it was Corin.

To Larry’s annoyance, Corin runned away down a path, and a scary mud of shows caught him by the neck, and put him in a lock down of a little bit of luck. “That’s a little bit of luck! He managed to escape!” said Larry. “I wonder where’s him now? Maybe he’s in the bird show waiting for something to happen.”

“Oh,” said Fatty. “Could he be with the Lorenzo’s? Or he could be with the Wunge?(?)”

“Oh.” Corin scuttled off in illument(?), down his lane and down the other path to a race.

“Corin!” said Larry. “Be quiet! No one is down the lane there. Someone might catch you! And put you in a lock.”

“Ya!” said Fatty. “I did scare, I did scupped(?) down a lane. I did scupped down.” So they scupped down a lane, punchit who were with them down it.

“(Sings softly) He sang so she then drink, supper.” Corin sang, as the birds twinkled in the moonlight, Corin escaped to a dark open plain. Of lightning FLASHED down at him both, and he walked to the Nineown Open Plain. Corin was down in the dumps, feeling he wouldn’t escape down with Corin in the shed. He wished he couldn’t go down to and fro. Corin might be scared of his annoyance. He saw the main roads crossing bathed(?) down, they bathed down at him when he walked. Corin went down and down, over the Wunge(?) before his heart could break. They... they... they... the others were gone! He looked around him, but they wasn’t there. They were gone! DOWN he went, following another one to a path where legs were closed. Down they went. Boom! Corin wondered to himself, “Corin, could you do that Corin?”

Corin said, “OH!” said heself. “You couldn’t be selfish.” (Laughing) HE GOT SO MANY MOUTHS! All over his body, so they are all talking!

(Me: who?

B: All. He got so much mouths!

Me: Corin?

B: Ya! Maybe he’s a wizard.

Me: How come?

B: He’s got so many mouths and eyes and everything.)

“Oh,” said his body, his whole body. “Larry!” his so many mouths said, “Eeeee!!!!! I am a wizard now!” He changed to a digraphic(?) moan. Moaning type of sound. He gasped. He gasped, (singsong) and his heart beat fast. His heart will beat fast. “(Singing softly) Sang so she there, she, he was across the street. She sang so he was across the street. Street. He sang so she’s there, across the street.... sang so she there...”

(Suddenly loudly) Corin leapt! And yelled. Once he’s hopped. He hopped, down and so many eyes creature and he went down on so many mouths thing, and he got SO MANY MOUTHS that he... that he... couldn’t manage them. He put one down, and put another one... put so many down, then he got only one left. And he taked that one off, and he GOT NO MOUTHS!!!!!! And then he “Mmm mmm” (made funny face here, then breaks out giggling.) then Corin didn’t know what to say.

When he went back he said (makes the same funny face, in silence). The others looked at him. “Can you talk?” said Larry. (Makes the same funny face, in silence), said Corin in disgust.

“Sshh!” said Aladar. “Everyone be quiet. Everyone be quiet.” And Corin said (makes the same funny face in silence – you can then hear me giggling on the recording because she really looks very comical, and she laughs too then.

Me: And then? Continue, continue, sorry!).

Corin leapt and yelled, but Corin didn’t stop, he just says (makes the same funny face in silence). Corin leapt! As he walked to a deep forest, and they looked upon there. They run, (singing) can they run there.. heh heh heh, heh heh heh...

(Me: then what happened... has your story finished? Are you going to continue?

B: I went like that (makes the same funny face again).

M: Is that the end of your story?

B: Ya.

M: What happened to Corin?

B: Corin... Corin said nothing. Just stand still like that (with funny face again, then runs away).

No comments: