I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Sunday 1 July 2007

A bunch of stories, mid-late June 07

I've got a big backlog of stories on my recorder... been too tied up with work to do as good a job of transcribing and posting as I should... also, since the recorder doesn't save the date info, I'm not exactly sure when each of these was recorded, and also what book she was using as a prop for each. I'll try to clear the backlog and do a better job with future stories.... I've also missed MANY more :( Anyway, here are the first few I've just transcribed last night.

Talking about the circus
Talking about the circus
And the book, this book, telling you about everything you wanted
Deep, and wide, and deep and deep and wide and wide!
I have to offer this, I have to offer this
When I, when I, when I, when I small
No, no! no! I’m outside!
D.W. came to (indecipherable)
She didn’t, she didn’t, she didn’t see some adventure now
And she liked, and she liked to, to see there and that
And there was huge thunderstorm (chants)
There was a huge thunderstorm (chants)
And they didn’t know weather
Weather! Weather! Weather! Weather!
Weather!
Weather!
And they don’t know, and they don’t know
And D.W. sit and shout, sit and shout from the bottom
Aaaat the thing, at the dog
And the dog laughed, and said….
Laughed, and laughed, and it laughed, and it laughed again
And when she show them down there, someone didn’t know
Didn’t know about whether, whether or not, are here, there and here
And they didn’t know, and they didn’t know not
They didn’t know whether or not it here, or maybe they not
Or maybe they are, maybe they are, maybe they are
And they went here
I see, I see, I see!
I’m also thinking about the circus. And who will also?
At lunch, at lunch, at lunch, he didn’t feel… so well
And, and, and he didn’t know… the weather
He didn’t know
No! Didn’t!
And he stepped, stepped in front!

Inspired by The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me (Roald Dahl) no doubt
A rocking horse, and I liked it, and I liked it and I liked it
And see a kitchen sink, crashed
So many things!
I think not…. Somebody have to keep it off the roof
And there everything else
One day when they come there was (whispering very softly for a while)
And someone get this and that
They… saw SOMEONE, a head stared at you
And ANOTHER door who opened
And there the other door who opened
This, who are you?
You… you’re scary, but who is the next door, your friend?
Uhm.. uhm… don’t know
We are…. Giraffe?
Ah, giraffe! Giraffe! Giraffe! Giraffe!
And there’s a monkey, dancing (singsong)
And I do a little dance myself!
My beak, my beak opened wide
Imagine…
The pelly, the giraffe and me (singing)
My beak can open, everything dup dup
My beak
My beak, imagine, the giraffe and the pelly and me
The giraffe and the pelly and me
(Finishes the songs)
And I did look at
The giraffe, the pelly and me!

The giraffe, the pelly and me!
The giraffe, the pelly and me!
I wanted the sweet shop!
I wanted the sweet shop!

The little blue tractor (she has this storybook)
It’s going to snow, said the little blue tractor
It’s going to snow, asked one man at the barnyard
Hoot, hoot
And little blue tractor
You can, piglet, come in the barn!
And he have the little blue tractor
Hoot, hoot, hoot,
Hoot, hoot, hoot,
Munch, munch, hoot hoot
And he called out, said Moo! Moo!
And, then they called out at yard
Where full of chickens, and full of ducks
Said hoot hoot!
Quack quack
Quack quack
Hoot hoot hoot
Quack quack
They all made that sound!
And said, they heard, he heard, and he heard it everyday!
When he seen lot of that
Go on, talk to us
And, and it was snowing in the everyday
When he going in and said
Hoot hoot hoot
And he, he, he done
He said get in, get in, get in
And they go to there, and go in the garden
The garden, the garden
And they hopped and they trot
Moo!
Neigh!
Hoot hoot
Moo!
Oink oink!
Waddle waddle
Plunk plunk
Quack quack
Hoot hoot
Hoot hoot hoot
Hoot hoot hoot
So the little blue tractor came out
Theee end of the story!

Someone (reading from a German Bible!)
A big fat book
A… big fat book
Who hid and hide
Hidden behind the bushes
Hang oooon! Hang on for a minute!
Wait, wait, wait!
There’s something missing
An engine…
Engine? Engine, engine… engine!
Wondering about it?
Someone haaaave…
EVERYTHING INSIDE, OUTSIDE (sings loudly)
And someone heard a noise like THAT everyday
When he heard a minute sound, heard behind
Hidden behind, a knocking sound
A knocking sound
That’s hidden behind the bushes
Someone didn’t bother about it
And someone didn’t know
Alright! Someone did it in accident
And someone I didn’t hear
When someone did it in accident
Someone sees
And said, HOO HOO! let’s go!
And grabbed that bottle from I
And stepped away
And they go and get him and said
This is OUR king!
This is our king and queen
Our king and queen run
And she say (gulps loudly) doohoo doohoo doohoo!
And he say doohoo also
Until, until the (indecipherable) king and queen
And someone, and someone heard a knocking noise
What was that for?
OOOH! Do… do we have an old fat, what is a fat book right?
This one is a fat book
This is a fat book, meant from using battle axe, engine number nine
So, the union battled
The union battle axe
And someone heard a noise
Someone… a knocking noise
Someone be king
And someone be queen
Someone be a (indecipherable)
Someone didn’t know it and, and…
Someone read it to me, an accident
And sat in a (indecipherable) (starts singing)
Hop, skip, jump and prance
T-rex long neck and you
Hidden far too
So wriggle your toes
And shake your feet and toes
Hop, skip jump and prance
That the dinosaur dance
(Finishes singing)
One, two, three!
Hop skip jump and prance?
Hop skip jump and prance, that the dinosaur dance
And someone heard singing everyday
And someone heard a loud bell
And someone who heard a noise
Singing that every day
A little song (whispering for a while, indecipherable)
And they say, hey! Engine number nine
Look! Someone in
I need someone, I need someone
At four o’clock, at four….
So where are we?
Yup, no I didn’t know
Are we here or there… anywhere?


Creatures of the deep
Come on! Come on here! Come on!
I need something with it
And something is bothering me
What is bothering you? (indecipherable) mommy
Looking at something wide and deep
What???
I almost stay outside for you for to carry me
And baby didn’t know what someone did with mommy
And mommy lived here in the blue lake
Here
So they went out… and they lived here
Everyday the goods be wet
And daddy also, also be wet…
And there, Deep deep deep! HI! He go!
And he so deep
And say deep deep deep again!
And they talk, and went
And this talk (indecipherable)
Stop inside, stop him inside
They seen them!
Well, before I see this (indecipherable) before
Deep in the sea
….
You can’t, it’s so hot in here
Something meant following in battleaxe
Something being in the sea, and ducks live in the sea
And sharks feed them all kinds of different things
That something live in the sea
People talk and things talk…

No comments: