I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Saturday 14 July 2007

Lots of singing in this one! Early July 2007*

I totally cannot recall the context of this recording, but on listening to it while transcribing, it was interesting to discover she'd noticed the MP3 recorder left by her and commented on it. This story contains some excellent examples of her making up her own songs :)

Here is the recording - it was unusually clear (usually too much background noise to post on here!), so I thought I'd post it so you can hear her new songs :P

LISTEN TO HER TELLING THIS STORY (should launch in Media player)

They didn’t know at last
They didn’t know was some recording
(Commenting on the recorder presumably. The real story starts right after this)

And he can’t because Ahboki!
Ahboki… looking outside in his tummy and seeing about like, like him
I didn’t know whether or not we are here or there
"I KNOW!" asked mommy, thinking about and looking at my fingers
And saying what’s outside
"I KNOW AGAIN!!!" asked iguanodon
"Looking about outside in the woods
Thinking about that..."
"I KNOW NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" someone shouted out loud
"THAT ME!!!!!!!! Me! Me! Me!
Inside, we were here, aaaand this
ME! ME!
COME ON!... "
"DABA DABA DA!" (singsong)
Someone (spoken)
"ZI ZA ZA! (singsong)
ME ME ME! Me me me! Me me me….(getting softer)
Me me me! Me me me.
Me me me me me me me me me (singsong again)
I liked to just now"
He liked to see the oven by the bench, outside in the woods
He didn’t know
And he get off
And we get off on the woods
Again by the bench (singsong)
Again by the bench, and they get off by the woods
On the bench they now find him be going outside (singsong) in the woods
"SING A SONG A WYE! SING A SONG A WYE! (singing)
Come bup bup bup bup, sing a song a wye …we got away!" (still singing)
And I didn’t know, and I walked out…
And I, and I, and I hear it again!
"POH WAH WITES AN CRY, I EAT IT, YOU EAT IT BYE!" (sings)
And I didn’t know (whispers)
And he heared
"Come inside in the, inside" (sings)
And I didn’t know
And I hear it again
"CRY A WITES INSIDE CAN YOU HEAR WITH ME, I’M NOT INSIDE!" (sings) asks me (spoken)
"I COME INSIDE I WILL SHARE WITH MOM! (sings)
MOMMY CAN YOU BE LIKE KIND OF MOMMY" (still singing)
So they shift voice
"Come… you’re not going!"
Stopped by the boy that from behind
"That was me! That was my voice when I quickly came, it was MY self!"
Singing back in a PROPER voice
"Singing about inside, then come inside, then come outside" (singing)
"We behind enough, come on let’s go!"
And they get on!
"Who I stepped on?"
And they sit down below the rest
Behind..
"THERE’S A SHARK!!!!
There’s a shark behind me" (small voice)
And they looked, picked… one

(seems like this next part is a coda of sorts, not part of the actual story)
Where baby stop ###
This is page bookmark, this is the bookmark
Then they stopped, this is the bookmark
This is the bookmark, and didn’t lost the page
So they almost finished the bookmark
And with books, till we write it down
Till we write it down, outside and
This is tiresome, let have this in the bag, outside please…

No comments: