I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Monday 9 July 2007

Got a great video at last!**

I'm so thrilled - she finally actually "performed" for me in front of the camera! Just before I started recording this she had been sitting at our old broken laptop and pretending to type a story, talking about it as she typed. What you see in the video happened as soon as I got the camera and turned it on. ### is where I can't quite catch exactly what she's saying :P

Here's the video link: 2007-06-09 Storytelling

Transcript

I will, I will get a storybook, then I will read it…. this storybook!
This storybook about that!… Come on! Sit on the chair!
This is my theatre!
{They sit on both sides, again
The fish by the sides, again, the fish by the sides
The fish by the sides, contents!} (I’m not sure I got this right!)

Once upon a time ### that was called brachiosaurus!
He was walking in the woods
And suddenly he saw carnataur walking by him
And he said, (scary voice) “Hello (throat growls) anybody?” he said 0:45
“No, you cannot” asked brachiosaurus looking at the ### and
(Cuts in with loud snarl) said the carnataur looking at, looking at it like it mean what you can do (snarls)
(Small voice) #### #### ####… “I’m a little baby brachiosaurus!”
And he saw him, there’s a baby brachiosaurus, outside
Where his little mommy go away from her
Aaaat, at the ###, at the ### ###
And he swim a lot
And he will just come
And his friends come!
And he felt, and he saw him
And he felt, and he swam like, and he ran away with his head
And he ran away, go from a CURTAIN thaaaat do in fact oush housh and heesh
(Snarls) said the other carnataur (snarls again)
“Eat you!”
(Small voice) “My pretend ### ### ###”
And they kept away, a open carnataur place!
That they hide and found today
And they looked and saw, they looking outside
Through an open type window
That they opened and someone was in it
“WHO?????”…
“Me!” said t-rex
And the carnataur said “Who please? I was, I was seeing brachiosaurus… so sad
Here am I looking at… looking at…
She, she, she miss her mommy
She don’t know where her mommy anymore”
And the t-rex said “YA! I will help her!”
And they looked outside for herself to help!
And they looked, and they looked outside where she was going
There was nothing by herself
Looking by them!
“That was me!” said t-rex, “Me! ... I’m the other t-rex!”
And the t-rex talked along the way and looked, and saw!
He was alive!
He was alive, he was not dead
And looked outside to an open place
Outside of the window
And looked at the door outside where they have been today
There, there was mommy!
Outside on the ### ###
“Anything about twilight?”
“Twilight??? I don’t have twilight!”
“Let me, I will show you”
And they looked and saw someone brave
And they stopped for a while
And saw this is, this is brachiosaurus… so sad
And they stopped here… why?
So… they looked outside to the edge of the pond
Saw…
So what happened?
They looked at chapter… type
(I think this is her story within the story – remember the context at the beginning of all this – she was actually pretending to be a writer typing a story at first, then she pretended to read the story, but it wasn’t finished yet, so here she continues typing it!)
And they typed, they write, at the edge
Of themmmmm page, of them museum ###
What? Is the museum?
This will affect the museum, right?
You have been writing there right?
(Types) A E I U and, A E I O U and
“I’ll see about that!”
She saw a museum full of dinosaurs and ###
And there were dinosaurs, there were the dinosaurs, my dinosaurs
And they looked at THAT museum
And they looked at it and, and they looked
Looked… hoy! That thrice didn’t touch
And they comed, and they see (whispers) Aladar!!
And they come! And, and they (small snarl)….
And someone did that! Someone small did that!
And, and someone did it
Against advice, against a wall
And someone walked to a house
Of someone… a small push!
Went wall, help again
Waaall… that another wall
And they didn’t know what was that!
And someone puked again
“B O I O E (sings)
And we BACK AGAIN, WE GET TO CATCH! (still singing)
WEEEE… YES ALL RIGHT, YOU WERE ME
HA HE HU HU KAH, TOLD WERE SEE YOU SEE” (finishes song)
“If we have this more dinosaurs!” said t-rex
And the carnataurs said “YAH!”
So, so, the three of them went out uhh… all of the dinosaurs
“I’m too small… I don’t eat the girl”
“Oh wow” he said…
### ### ### ### and…
And he looked and “someone don’t step! on someone’s ‘puter”, said “my ‘puter”
Someone have told him that
WHY??? Who? Who?
And they looked and saw who was..
Looking at what’s that
And that was… England!
And they don’t know who’s it, none of the dinosaurs
And they looked and they, and they escaped now
###, pipe…. the pipe!
And they looked and they escaped ### ###
And, and, and the pipe have, have something, have been
Only two days that, that brachiosaurus looking at this bush
And giving up a little side
That almost everyone... CRUNCH!!!!
He eat leaves again, CRUNCH again!
He eat leaves again, CRUNCH!
(More and more frantic) CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!!
CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!!
CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!!
Can again! Crunch..
CRUNCH!!! CRUUUUUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!!
Heh heh! And they crunched
CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!!
And ###, and ### did that
CRUNCH!!!! CRUNCH!!!! CRUUUUNCH!!!!
OOOOOWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAYO WAYO WAYO WAYO
Someone did that, and didn’t walk
AYOH AYOH AYOH AYOH AYOH… CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUUUUUNCH!
(whispers) tiptoe tiptoe tiptoe tiptoe…
And then he stopped
And they heard a noise
Said “shhhhhh!” (whispers) tiptoe tiptoe tiptoe…
(starts laughing – my fault for following her around with the camera!)
I will type with some more, some more a book about Heesh
Heesh, right? They about Heesh? Again…. Not under the wall right?
No, not here… we were here right?

They looked at the same
He… awkward… because shush… like a bush
Hit a wall, that type again!
Oh I’m stuck..
Who? Who? You know who was stuck?
(Me: who?)
This dinosaur
Dinosaur tell you
Let’s dig dinosaurs ## ### ###
They all do, they looked, and they saw who was that!
Who, who was on the floor right?
(Typing)
M M M…
(Typing)
(Me: are you going to continue?)
I think… I will continue

And they pushed against wall!
That looked, and they knew it
They all helped… PLEASE!
And they looked, and saw who was it!
It was PYESH!
And they cut… CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUUUUNCH! Again
And they thought ###
“Why should we stop?”
“Because… all the moment CRUNCH… could mean we won’t talk!”
“OH, YOU WILL TALK RIGHT??”
A #### shop
“NOOOO! THAT WAS JUST A STORY!”
Don’t! He looked…
Pachy… cephalo…sau… rus!
Pachy… cephalo…sau… rus out, saw
Pachy… cephalo…sau…oh…..rus!
Pachy… cephalo… sau…… rus
Pachy… cephalo… sau……..… rus!
Pachycephalosaurus!
We have it on this ‘puter!!!
Again…
(Me: are you going to finish this story?)
Hmm?
I will read at this side
Will you tell the story from?
Do you look at the graphic?
Do you look at the computer?
This one? You look at it!
A ### shop…. that a ### hall, out!
They looked at, they all fall to the dinosaurs
Where’s my blue socks with teddy bears on it?
(Me: have you finished your story, are you going to finish your story?)
No, not yet.

No comments: