I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Monday 28 May 2007

Pretending with daddy, 2007-05-28

Well, this isn't exactly storytelling, although she does tell a story within here. It's a very typical pretend play session with daddy that I happened to get on video, and it was too interesting not to post on here, enjoy! Bethany's speech is in black, daddy's is in blue.
Here's the video link: Pretend Play at 31 months

I am inside here!
Where am I?
(Roars) I might eat you!
Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch

I might eat you!

But I am all bones, how can you eat me?

But I have eaten parasaurolophus..

But you are also all bones, you cannot be me, I am the tyrannosaurus

Him pretending... I am pretending (roars)

Run away... come back. What are we going to do?
What's your name?

I have a idea! I have a idea!
Small thing, we read a storybook!
This tyrannosaurus, he's dead

Tyrannosaurus is all bones, so are we

Let's tell a story about him,
He be eaten up by this carnivore, Pachy

Ya, but Pachy is pretending, he cannot eat, he's all bones anyway

It's a story about them, walking in the forest,
Looking at some food

Who was walking in the forest?

Pachy only

Pachy running away from T-rex?

No, from...from Allosaurus!

Oh, he was running away from Allosaurus

Once upon a time, when you don't all have to be careful Allosaurus
Allosaurus is still there when you don't have to
And he saw, and he saw, and he saw Iguanodon passing by
Then Iguanodon stopped and slunk away
And he say "What we can do about if Parasaurolophus coming by? Meet you"
Theeee end!

But what did he do with the parasaurolophus passing by?

Iguanodon slunk away

Slunk away?

Yeah, Iguanodon did, did, did, did something else

And Iguanodon slunk away?

Yeah, he didn't, he didn't, he didn't walk away,
He, he just slunk away

He didn't walk away but he slunk away?

Yeah!

Was he afraid?

Yeah, from, from, from T-rex he pretending

So he was afraid of the pretending T-rex

HEY! said pachy
This is my beautiful hat, see? (roars)

What happened to tyrannosaurus? You can't eat us

I might eat you!

This is just a hat

I'm pretending! This is my beautiful hat
Hey! This is my beautiful hat

T-rex has fainted, why is t-rex on the ground?

Because he is dead. My, my hat, my hat, my hat, my hat is eat them up

Eaten up T-rex?

I'm big is eat them, because I'm pretending just now

T-rex are you pretending? Hello? Are you pretending?

No, no, I'm dead

You're dead?

Look, said this T-rex, I am a T-rex also!

But that's a hat? I thought?

(Laughs) I'm pretending, because I'm T-rex this hat, Because this is T-rex
This is my beautiful hat, got T-rex in it

Yes

HEY! Said this T-rex!
Let's go and see the opportunity about this mommy!
Hey! HO! HO! said this dinosaur
Ho! Ho! I'm the Bethany pachy, hmmm..
HEY! He's dead!

Oh, you ate him! Did you?

I am, I am, I am, I am pretending, said Pachy

Yeah, but why is he dead?

Because I am eat him

You ate him, you ate him all bones?

Yeah, see I'm pretending, said Pachy
Because I AM INSIDE!
I am not a T-rex eating him

What happened to the carnatours?

Uhm.. maybe...in the, in the red box
I AM HERE! said carnataur
I AM FULL! I AM FULL OF CARNIVORES!
Here am I! Here am I!
You, you, you hold him on the back
HERE
He is, he is, he is, he is dead
He is dead and, and
My hands eat him already
(Roars)
Tum tum tum
Huh? I have one leg!
I am holding him
I'm holding my hat!
T-rex dropped
You can wear it (indecipherable)
Parasaurolophus, you can wear it
Parasaurolophus, you can wear it

I cannot wear it because I have this thing on the back of my head
Are you going to tell a story?
Pachy? Are you there? Are you going to tell a story?

NO!
I'M DOING SOMEBODY ELSE!

Iguanodon... hi brachiosaurus, where did you come from?

From the hand

I'm pretending

You have big teeth, parasaurolophus!

You found out! You found me, I was pretending to be t-rex

I want to pretend (roars)
You please put on the hat

So is he pretending or is he wearing a mask?

AHH (roars)

Oh, wow, t-rex you're back to normal with your head only

No comments: