I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Saturday 19 May 2007

Mammals, 2007-05-19

She was pretending to read "Malaysian Mammals". I transcribed this one using pen and paper, but I think I'm getting the hang of it, so I hardly missed anything this time! I'm sticking to green font for her narrator's voice and other colours for others.

(Reading the front cover) Mammals again
(Reading the title) Mammals again
"Chimpanzee! Chimpanzee! Is that a chimpanzee?"
"Chimpanzee is a monkey"
"Is a chimpanzee a monkey? I didn't know that!
I didn't know that, ahh... I didn't know that
Hey! That little things!
That little things! That little things!
I didn't know that, is that a... what are you doing??? Are you, are you..."
(Coughs) "I am coughing. I am still coughing"
"Oh, I know! We can do anything, oh we can"
Baby comes and see the deer
"No, I cannot"
Are you writing my story?" says baby, "are you writing?"
(note: she wasn't looking at me transcribing this, I don't think she was talking to me!)
"I am writing the bats... I am writing the bats"
"I didn't know, I didn't know that
While you were there
Ah... I didn't know that"
"I am just writing, just writing it so that you cannot, cannot do anything
Just do anything"
"I am getting... "
"We cannot do that"
"I am"
"We cannot do that!"
"Maybe somebody cannot"
"Cannot, cannot"
"Mommy! AHH! I cannot.. AHH!"
"Can you?"
"Ah! I cannot!
Is this the bat?... Is this the bat?
"Some bats eat fruits, some bats don't eat fruits"
"Some bats eat other bats?
Bats? Is that the bats?
Is that the bats?
Eat fruit?... Eat fruit?
Is that the bat eat other one? Is that? Is that? Is that???"
"No, it's that one! It's that one behind"
"Oh... he might eat me!"
"It's behind that one, it's that one"
"Oh... I don't mean that before
I am, I am..."
Baby to see mommy
"You cannot stand around
You seen the tiger, the bat, the deer, the lion
You seen them using binoculars"
"Mommy, this is the TAPIR! This is the tapir! SEE??? THIS IS THE TAPIR!"
(Calmly) "I am reading it... I am reading it, I am reading it"
(Excitedly) "The tapir... is it? is it?
Uhm... I know we can do anything
We can now!"
"We cannot do it"
"I just want to eat!"
"Oh, your shirt fall down"
"Why?"
"Your shirt fall down"
"I know...
We can do it and do it, and we cannot do it behind the rock, no?"
"We cannot put on another shirt"
THE END!

No comments: