I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Thursday 24 May 2007

Of ants and other things, 2007-05-24*

Pretending to read from a Carl Sagan book! Recorded onto my MP3 recorder and transcribed from there.

(Speaking to herself) Well... this got a VERY long book
This is that, I show you now
Mommy don't mind, mommy said it's a game called something,
Something about THAT

"Bite, Bite, Bite, BITE YOU! BITE YOU! Bite you!" (increasingly agitated)
And baby woke up (very matter of fact)
And baby just woke up and said, "What is that biting me?"
She said "What is this one?... It's an ANT!!! BITE! IT'S AN ANT!"
(In a small voice) "I'm soo cold... I'm cold! I couldn't see anything!
Oh... one little ant biting
Big ant, red ant, big ant, bigger ants
It's red ones mommy
When daddy wake up he tell something biting him"
"Daddy didn't see your ant before"
Her her biting, her be bitten by the ant
"The ant, the red ant might bite
Black ants don't bite"
"Black ants does bite, they just gentle"
Big red ones do bite
But small black ones don't bite and big black ones don't bite also
They are different! Between the different, you don't have to"
(Cutting off previous voice) "In that direction, and this direction!
You're standing on something!"
"WHAT? What is this?" (sounds really shocked)
"We standing on something" (matter of factly)
"WHAT?" (shocked)
"We standing on something" (matter of fact)
"WHAT?" (shocked)
"We standing on something!" (sounding impatient now!)
"How are we going to get out from ths place?"
"AHH! I can do it!" said baby, "we can do anything,
IIIII AMMMM going to do something about this...
This is it goes..."
"There it goes, somewhere here
That's how it goes"
"Let me try, let me try too!" (in a very cute voice!) said baby
Baby didn't try
Mommy said no
ANNNNDDDD daddy woke up
Mommy said "yes, daddy will try
And something.."
"WHAT? WHAT?" (surprised)
"We're standing on something!" (like an announcement)
"We're standing on something", said daddy
"LOOK AT MY LEGS! WHAT!" (shocked again) "WHAT?
I'm standing on something!"
"We're actually standing on something!"
"WHAT? It's an ANT!" (shocked)
"Oh.. we're standing on ants (calmly) because we are, we are
like... people
People step on ants do they care"
"Who step on ants?
They don't have to do it"
"They don't anybody", said baby
"They don't have to be afraid of anybody!
From us, standing on a red ant
Why didn't we, we, we get there from here"
"What? WHAT? What?
We're STANDING on SOMETHING??? We in this country?"
"In that country there no"
(Cutting off previous voice) "WHAT?
We are here?
What?"
"We are here..."
"What? We can't stand on something...
Maybe we get here
What did we find out? What did we find out?
What happened to the (indecipherable)"
"We just came here"
"We, we, we get back the"
(Cutting him off) "But this is mine" said, said, said
"Can you bring the ants back for us?"
"But I will can"
(Cutting in with a different tone) "Please give me a minute for this...
I need it, I need it, but I NEED IT! Right?"
"Then you need it, now?"
"Why? You afraid of the herbivores? Of the carnivores also?"
They, they saw something big and far
Coming their way
They bit them
Mommy worried about that
That something bitten her
Something bitten her
That everything
About
That how it goes
"Biting you, biting you, can you be bitten" (singing)
"After you have" (still singing) "off the edge, near mom
That how it goes"
Mommy worried, she been sick
"What? they are in this country?
Behind the rocks? WHAT?"
"I'd been quite often
Our house not here..
But in somebody else house!"
"WHAT? In this house? Where we lived here?
We actually go somewhere here? WHAT?"
"Quite often, remember"
"ACK!
Right..." (roars)
"What in this place?" said baby
"In this mess? WHAT?
What?
Hide them, hide daddy"
"What? What?"
"Daddy made us in danger right?
Hide them! Daddy!"
"What? Want us to do?"
"AAAAAHHHHH"
"That alright, from person, this one get stuck
By something, by something
Often got, kind of often got
All the animals by himself"
"They did, who?"
"Brachiosaurus"
"Not brachiosaurus! Brachiosaurus is the dinosaur!
And mammals don't go out from this day
Frogs come...
Frogs eat worms, and frogs eat insects
And frogs eat insects, they don't eat insects, but they eat insects when they hungry
They will eat insects, but not PEOPLE!"

She stopped here because she got sidetracked, checking with me about what frogs really do eat...

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

That was fantastic! I think my favorite one yet - so dramatic. I loved how carnivores/herbivores still made an appearance, with a light sprinkling of dinosaur for good measure.