I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Thursday 17 May 2007

An afternoon's tale, 2007-05-14

I directly transcribed this story while she was telling it, using a pen and paper, so I missed a line here and there as I couldn't write fast enough! Everything below are her words only (except the bits in parentheses). I'm going to use three different font colours here so you can see the different characters she was in her narrative. The green font is her narrator's voice.

"Oh, you didn't know that?... Oh, you didn't know that..."
"I didn't know that... I didn't know that... I didn't know
I just asked the lady to clean it"
"You didn't go there for a holiday... there was a scary monster... you didn't ask your mommy to clean it!
There's a scary monster... no! no! no! no! no! no! no! no! no!"
"I have to clean it, it have a lot of dust... it very dirty"
And she clean it and she clean it, by her feet
"MAMA! PLEASE GET OUT OF HERE!
(More calmly) Mom... please get out of here...
The monster might do anything with you
He might eat you...
Better get out... he might do funny things... better get out!
(Pause) Oh, you didn't know that..."
Went out from the holiday
"Tsk, tsk, tsk... we are here. How it works?"
"Oh, we're here! The beast went out from the holiday and he do anything"
"Do you mean anything by that?"....
(Dramatic pause) Number 1, Chapter 3
(Dramatic pause again) "Do you mean anything?"
"I DARE YOU!"
"Do you mean anything?"
"Actually, you have to do anything, ATCHOO!... I just coughed!"
"Do you mean anything?"
"And the beast do anything. We are here. We are in this country...
Actually, there is dust..."
"I'm scared... I'm scared... I'm scared!"
"Anything... oh... have no good.
Behind little bush, a little damaged house, there's a bumblebee"
"Do you mean about that?"
"The Lion King sees everything, he might do anything with him.
And he hate a lot of things, this is the worst about him.
He has a grey mouth...
Behind the little damaged house, he walked in the maze, singing"
"Singing?"
"Singing...(sings) around, up and down, opposite, singing around"
"That is the monster singing"
"Singing (sings) In and out"
"Behind the little damaged house, 26 miles behind the beast
The lost kid have been there before
Behind, behind, behind... few of my favourite things
And the map's behind the beast.
He didn't know she is here
He didn't... she is safe
Behind the little country she live
(sings) Up and down, standing still
And she didn't do that
(sings) B-I-B-L-E, you asked for me, I stand alone B-I-B-L-E
B-I-B-L-E, B-I-B-L-E

No comments: