I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Thursday 17 May 2007

A story with dinosaurs, 2007-04-19

I got this one on video, here's the link: More Storytelling at 30 months
I did the transcription from the video

Where are we? Mommy read it just now... there we are! That one!
Map, pictures..
So what Malaysia is? This Malaysia? No, this Malaysia, see?
What about...what about that? No, said the dinosaurs, this our home
Dinosaurs in Malaysia, some dinosaurs NOT in Malaysia, see?
A zoo, a zoo, a zoo, zoo, zoo! A zoo, a zoo, zoo, zoo! I want to go there... said D.W.
((indecipherable))
Right..let's begin
D.W. didn't know she in the tub
Didn't notice, she didn't notice
How she in the tub.. apatosaurs lost him.. lost her, the apatosaurs lost her. How?
I want to give you a present from me
NO, NO, NO you naughty girl! You have no pie, right?
You very naughty girl
You have to give pie..that one, that one
We have to go, bye! see you soon
NO, I want to see the dinosaurs
Boo hoo hoo, boo hoo, boo hoo, boo hoo, boo hoo!
No, we have to go home
Bye bye, see you soon!
Oh no!... hi! hi..
Bye bye, see you soon!
((snoring sound))
You, you, you have to go home
This our home
That, NO! NO! NOOOOO! NO!
D.W. didn't notice, how she in the tub, went to see the dinosaurs after all
No, we have to sleep first, definitely, said the dinosaurs
We not sleep a long, long time
I'm tired, from the dinosaurs..we're sleeping
Come, we drink, we drink...we do that again
NO, I DON'T WANT DO THAT AGAIN!
WAKE UP!
No, no, we have not wake up yet, it's night time
All these ((indecipherable))
WAKE UP DINOSAURS! IT'S A SUNNY DAY!
No, no, no, no, no, we don't want pie
It's mommy got ya, don't need to cry
Haaah... mommy got ya! No, no, no, no,mommy not got ya,
Mommy not got ya yet, not got ya yet, huuuuuh!
That mommy? Maybe I'll run away from me, but I don't like
She don't like me
So we run away
The dinosaurs might eat us
From here, from here to there (x3)
((undecipherable)) Don't, don't got me
You not a customer (x4)
You not a customer said D.W.
Didn't notice.. she in the tub..while she in the tub
Haah! DON'T WASH AWAY!
She...she have to go dip
You please read to me, you please read to me...

No comments: