I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Thursday 17 May 2007

An evening's tale, 2007-05-14**

This is transcribed from a video I managed to get of her while in full swing (she has only relatively recently started to become completely oblivious to me once she's involved in her own thing, either storytelling or pretend play - previously I wouldn't have managed to get a video like this).

I've split the video into two, but they were really one long continuous take.
  1. 2007-05-14 Storytelling (Part 1)
  2. 2007-05-14 Storytelling (Part 2)
I've used different font colours again to aid in clarity of the storyline. The red font is where even I'm confused and don't know just WHO is talking anymore!

PART ONE
"My mommy says, I am a naughty boy, I have to go home
My mommy says I have to go home
(Sigh) So I have to go home!"
Said him.. them baby
"I haaave to! I haaave to!"

The green people drink too often (indecipherable)
She not drink at all, but she drink, she drink everytime
Singing "in and out, up and down, standing still or spinning around,
in and opposite, see what opposite can be turning, turning round"
"I thought you made of wood and wire
You made of REAL bones!"
"I know I am, but I have to go home"
(indecipherable)

PART TWO
(turns page)(Pointing as if to the title) "In search of the king"
(Whimpers) Find the top (to herself)

Baby seem to often ride
She not even wear there
And she cried (mumbles)
And said you (indecipherable)
"In and out, up and down, standing still"
"OH IT'S ME!"
"I.. I.. I just singing
In and out, up and down, standing still or spinning around"
"Oh, you here!", said the mommy
"How are you going to get in?"
"Should be able"
"I bet you going to not do that, or something"
"Mom! You please...I'd like to have some (sighs, mumbles).. up to you"
"WHO'S THAT?"
"I.. I just.. I just.. I just have some meeting just now
Behind the rock stone, behind everything"
"I like to have accommodation (indecipherable)
I want, I want a (indecipherable)
In fact I am a (indecipherable)"
"In and out, up and down, standing still or spinning around,
opposite, opposite, see what opposite can be turn around"
"I better go home! You not my mommy.
You the other mommy from the other baby.. SEE..!"
"I like to have accommodation.."
"I thought, a minute or two.. I just have to go home.
Please get me out, please get a small home"
"Get for you where?"
"Where? In town, behind the rock that's damaged, behind the weeping willow tree,
Behind, behind the weeping willow tree,
And behind the damaged house upon the (indecipherable)
The little damaged house, behind the weeping willow tree"
"The people, that people is knocking?"
"Ya, ya, ya, ya, we can, we can, we can!"
The mommy singing "In and out, up and down"
"I'll be very, very, very happy! (indecipherable)
(Singing) "Singing up and down
Standing still spinning around, learning opposites"
She not in tune

"I.. I.. enough! singing!
In and out, up and down, standing still or spinning around"
She standing by the children singing about and that
"I like to get home" said (indecipherable)
"You make me (indecipherable)"
"See, that is the bird!"
"I see the bird, but I don't like it. Let me come out.
You not my mommy, you know, I'm ask, will you please let me come out"
Said the big one
In the up and down
"I like to get in the magpie robin, but I don't like to you make me quite often,
maybe I have a plan to play out here, to play out from your house"
"I like to have accommodation"
"Wait wait wait wait!"
"I would love to wait"
"You know baby inside the little cottage,
the little damaged house behind the weeping willow tree..
behind, you are there"
"Ah, you get there from by MY house
Ahh, you got, got from my house! that day.."
"Can you? Can you? Can you? Can you ride there from out from me?"
"WHYYY??!!"
"Why? Why means...you like to not go home, you come from home"
"There she is! there she is! You like to accommodation?"
"Ahh ya ya ya ya, a bit, a bit, a bit
I like to have accommodation, to have...
by the weeping willow tree, that's your home"
"Ah where are you get it from? where are you get it from?"
(Whispers) "Behind the weeping willow tree"
"Maybe you come often, you go out one day to see the world"
"One day got there?"
Baby got up and do... it
"In and out but, but didn't you
You are my (indecipherable)"
"In my long life she planned about the (indecipherable) have they eat"
(Sings) "Sing a song a bye, blowing, blowing
Sing a song a bye, blowing"
She ever ever sing
(Sings) "Twinkle twinkle little star
How I wonder what you are
Up above a the world so high
Like, like a diamond in the sky
Twinkle twinkle little star
How I wonder what you are
Up above a the world so high
Like, like a diamond in the sky
Twinkle twinkle little star
How I wonder what you are"
And she sang it two songs, and
"Twinkle twinkle (etc again)"
And she didn't sing again, she have enough!
Behind the little damaged house
(runs away, so I can't catch the last line)

1 comment:

Hannah said...

For being only 2.5 years old, your stories are amazing. You are such a creative, talented little girl. Your language development has come on in leaps and bounds recently and your pronunciation is excellent.
Hannah and Sophie