I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Monday 21 May 2007

The fox and the hen, 2007-05-20

I transcribed this one straight into my laptop. I only started some time after she had, so I missed a lengthy earlier part of the story. Also, she was talking really softly, so I missed some lines even after I'd started. She was pretending to read the book "Molly Maran and the Fox". I've colour-coded the characters so you can easily follow the story: blue=dog, black=hen, red=fox, orange=rabbit, purple=sparrow, green=narrator. I hope I didn't mix anyone up!

"Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit..." (singing), the dog said
"Maybe you can do it again fox", said hen
The other fox didn't
They have to play in the house that they lived
And the fox, the dog, they all lived together
But the hen didn't
They all sing
"What" she yelled
She said "AHH, you can do it, and I cannot
Even I cannot, even I cannot
Even I cannot do it I have to do it
Why I have to do it?
Because I am.. I must do it", said the hen
"I might do it"
The fox and the hen
The fox, the hen, and the fox and the ladybird

"They am I, they am I, they am I" (singing)
(still singing) "I am them, I am them, If I am do it (x3)
If I am I (x2), If I am I am (x2)" sang the hen
"Sing a ling, sing a ding, ding ding sing, Can you do it? (x5), Do it?" (still singing)

Fox and the hen and the ladybird
Something about then flew by her
And he won't have any say
"Oh I eat something else"
"No, not we have hurting"
"Maybe we have to"
"ahhh, I must be quiet!"
And the sparrow woke up and said "where's the hen?"
"I see something" said rabbit
"I show you in a minute"
And the rabbit wake up now
It have run about
Run in and out
"Show you something... somebody has stolen somebody's food... it's the dog"
Oh the hen wake up and said "
ahhh! tsk tsk tsk, I feel hungry"
"And he jumped up that, and he jumped off, and jumped off"
this dog, the dog.. house
and he come
"oh it his dog house
he cannot do it
and he jumped away"
"i tell somebody
somebody somebody somebody somebody's food..."
"fox! i'm a fox, really i am a fox
i'm not a dog, said the fox, i'm not a dog
i can eat you!"
"oh maybe i, maybe i can't", said the dog
"but not the fox! but not the fox"
and said the dog, "why you sad?"
"why sad I? because of, of, of..
I sent you to walk"
and dog barked "woof! woof!
you sent me to woof!"
"I sent you!"

No comments: