I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Thursday 17 May 2007

First transcribed story, 2007-04-15

Storytelling from Bethany just now - I started transcribing some time after she'd started, and with the dinosaur story I stopped transcribing before she'd finished as I was doing this while in a chat session with a friend. Bethany was telling these stories while pretending to read from the Simon & Schuster Picture Pocket Book titled DINOSAURS. Told with full dramatic expressiveness, as usual, of course! Everything below are her exact words only.

it might bite you if you go near!
i'm feeling better now
but you're sick
the dinosaurs!
i want to see the carnivores... somebody bit me!
the dinosaurs! that one bit me!
hmph!
i'm feeling better now
i'm going back now
no, no, no, no you just wait
you might get hurt


you might find me
look it's daisy duck
how are you? how are you?
daisy duck and minnie mouse, they're good friends
mickey mouse and all, too
"minnie mouse, what are you doing?"
shake hands
you're in my house
go in my house
GO IN!!!
and daisy go in
the house might shake...
no, the house cannot move
NO! that morning it was not steady, right?
you know that?
it might do that
THAT morning it was not steady!
NO, it's steady
No, it's not
No it is
It's not shaking
Goofy! Goofy!
Donald duck said quack quack
no, no, no
don't do that quacking noise
ducks do quacking noise
i'm a duck!
minnie mouse, i'm a duck!
hmmm
donald duck, daisy duck
goofy said
i want to be donald!
i want!
me?
The End!

No comments: