I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Monday 18 June 2007

A few short stories, 2007-06,8th-17th

I mentioned I had a backlog of stories on my recorder. Several of these were fragmented, either due to too noisy background during the recording, or because of her new dramatizations: extreme volume fluctuations, moving around while storytelling, etc; so the recorder didn't pick up her narrative too clearly. So I thought I'd just post the bunch of fragments here on one post instead of cluttering up the blog with several fragmented stories. Oh, I also discovered my recorder doesn't keep a record of the date of recording, so I've forgotten the exact date of some of these, but the range of dates is as in the header of this post. Here goes.

1. TO MARKET
And they crack, back, action!

And they
And they got it… oh they didn’t got it yet
They haven’t got it
They… something by
Have you got it yet?
You haven’t got it

When baby saw the bench
She, she, run and hide
And she got up, she got up
And she got a little hook
And she sat down, she sat on the little bench
Made the bench in SUCH a hurry
In such a hurry, in such a hurry
And baby heard a noise, about that
And then she didn’t know what to do
And she stepped on something
And she saw a lizard passing by
And said, this is a little fun ask the lizard
This little fun ask (indecipherable)
Behind the bushes, behind the trees, behind the leaves
What is that? Asked the, asked the, asked the (indecipherable)
Watching out behind the bushes, hiding behind the leaves, and the trees
After, after
In such a hurry passing by
That is fun asked
Baby
That is fun! I like to play by the bench
Somewhere in, something going on, asked baby
And baby saw a little hook by the bench
Aaand the hook by the bench
A recepeed, a recepeed… what is this?
(checks with me as to what picture she’s looking at in the book)
Centipede, or a millipede got a little hook by the bench
I saw…. Aaaand a little hook by the bench
Somewhere by a centipede
I like this centipede…
Millipede… millipede… I like this one!
Don’t like the centipede!
To market, to market to buy a fat hog (sings)
Home again, home again, home again (still singing)
Dumpy by your edges, I want the centipede to go near me, to go near my (still singing)
(Cuts in) WHY? Asked mommy, holding by
I haven’t got it
OH! A little hook over the bench
We SAW it
And there she took by the bench
We saw, and how she saw
How we found it somewhere
Aaand
And he gave them
So we packed, we packed
Somewhere… in such a hurry
In such a hurry
I haven’t got it
To market, to market to buy… wash wash wash wash wash
Soap away
No dear away


2.THE TURTLE
The Lion and the Turtle
One day the turtle went for a walk in the woods by himself
And his mommy say “No, you can’t!”
And the daddy say “That ALL right! He will come back”
And the mommy said “NO!!!! He won’t!”
And, and the mommy said “Yup…He will come back, the turtle”
Why… he… coming…. Back
Who coming? Come back!
No you can’t, you can’t come back
One day, one dinosaur came and said “this is NOT”
And one dinosaur came also, with the other dinosaur
There’s dinosaurs coming around
It went somewhere in the other island


3. BABY WASN'T INSIDE
I want that, asked the lion
You know…the elephant, ELEPHANT!!!!
You have to put off the elephant, put off the elephant
Put off the elephant… light
Home again, home again, jiggety jog (sings)
That was a good story! Baby wasn’t inside!
The dinosaur was
So…brachiosaurus wasn’t inside, but not iguanodon
A whole BUNCH of them, the whole bunch of them coming
They queue
Baby didn’t know… baby didn’t get a hook already
It was on the bench
It haven’t got it, baby haven’t
Baby going home
BABY was not going home because SHE want mommy
Mommy? Mommy seen, because (noisy)


4. HELLO, I'M NOT ANYTHING
Hello, I’m not anything, I’m giraffe!
(too noisy to hear a bunch of words)
And up and down (singsong)
Standing still or spinning around
Learning opposite, see what opposite can still run around
Lots of opposite can still run around
(Getting slower and slower)
And you can’t do that!
Engine!
You can’t…. and wise man
W and H and H and W and H and W and me and umph!
Mean WHAT IS UMPH?
THAT??? Word?
That word means umph and humph
A boy and a girl!
A boy and a girl and a fox and a king (sings)
So clean and so dusty (still singing)
And I didn’t know even what to do!
There’s some (indecipherable)
Let’s clean, proper animals clean
(indecipherable, whispering)
Done that!
Let’s be here!
Hmm hmm hmm huh huh huh (to the tune of “Are You Sleeping”)
Where are you sayshell, where are you sayshell,
Here am I! Here am I!
Suddenly I spied them, a pale of green pants, with nobody inside them
TOO RAMBLING – STILL A LOT, BUT DOESN’T MAKE SENSE…


5.SOMETHING TO DO WITH BIRDS
Happen and Bill, Happy and Bill, Happen and Bill Contents
And they come here, quite sunburnt to pieces
That is man, that is the man from him, that is the man!
And he didn’t know what to do!
Then, you can talk to this one while I’m waiting
If you finish talking to him, you catch him,
Catch this book
He’s my friend!
I put this thing in the cage, with my one and CATCH him
And his bird tried to run away if he catch him
This bird is burnt
“I’m not! I will not!” Asked baby in a W mood
Anything here, by the edges
What is that??? At the edges?
It be… I… that’s better!
I choose….ummm…. This! And I choose a friend!
So, this! one
NO! They are flying away!
CATCH! CATCH!
(indecipherable for a few sentences)
He didn’t know what to do (indecipherable)
(Indecipherable) please I can’t do it!The mouse is, is… contents already
And I BROKE my bones!....and, and
Contents… you can look at me properly… another one…(whiny)
And then… contents now… check out, and said
I wrote! But I’m working!
Uhm… thank you! Thank you! Thank you! And she got open
And she got back, said, “I’m NOT! I’m content!”
“MAN!”
“What are you doing girl?”
“I’m a man”
“I’m a girl, and you live with me, every time man, and you’re a girl-boy!”
“What is a girl-boy?”
“That’s a girl and a boy. This mean, someone rode in a bike!”
Contents are… the contents are… ready for you
He, he have, he’s, he’s, he’s panting
He wants to LOCK YOU UP in the contents page, and you have some…fun
You, you cannot escape if they lock you up
“I might escape!” But the girl said to me
“That is me! I’m the kitten! I’m not the (indecipherable)”
And they RUN away, two (indecipherable)
Hmph! What is it? Two (indecipherable)
She’s the one to do the job, and find them!


6.PIGSLEY PIG
Pigsley Pig went to another castle in an area out in the woods
So, he (indecipherable)
See? What you can see?
And he didn’t know what to do, there’s another passage here!
Leads somewhere else
And he found all the ghosts
Boo! Said ghosts, BOO!!!!
There’s another passage here… leads somewhere…
(Knocking) Please, there’s another passage here
HALLO IN THERE!!!!!! IS ANYBODY HOME????
He asked together (indecipherable)
Nobody’s seems to be home and he,
He meet the dragon way, and go for a night market walk,
And lead somewhere else, and peeking and at, there’s another passage here!
….There’s another passage here!
….There’s another passage here, SEE?
….There’s another passage!
And he lead somewhere else and peeking out was from anything out in the woods
And he really saw the map, said
This is not fun! LET”S GO!
And he visited the night market
And he didn’t know what to do, The End!


Ok, that's it's for this post! The next one should be better - there's an 8 minute one waiting for transcription on my recorder at the moment ;-)

No comments: