I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Tuesday 19 June 2007

The little hook returns, 2007-06-19

We were at the bookstore today and she pulled an Enid Blyton book off the shelf and started storytelling. She was so engrossed, she didn't mind that I even held the recorder in front of her like a reporter does when interviewing someone :-P

Baby saw! And mommy saw also
And they all meant for the others until Sally found…
Baby saw a little hook by the bench
And I keep asking it, every time!
Pop! Asked baby, can you do that like a jellyfish? No I can’t!
The end!
And then I walked, and I walked, and I WALKED AND I WALKED!
Heh… I SO tired from walking, and a DOG shoot after me!
And I will be VERY, VERY SAD!
And my dog shoots you up
And my dog shoots you up
And I’m SO TIRED!
And this, the, the bench bring me something…. Teapot
And they RAN away
And the teapot raaaan away
And I sit…. and see there
Aaaand….have to taste the porridge!
Food get…. damp!
And the porridge poured on the horses
And the horses saw a hook
And the horses got a hook
And a heater… GET ON!
And… afternoon and afternoon
And back to the time
And I walked and I walked and… (pants) didn’t KNOW
And I JUMPED to the heater! And I yelled
And I yelled, and yelled, I yelled! And yelled and I yelled
Yippee! Yippee! Yippee!
And there was a picture, hidden (in an undertone) from the bushes
“FOX! I want to tell you a story!” said the lion
And a lion came fast, and it (roars twice) everyday
Wolf the dog! (indecipherable) everyday
The piglet and me
The truck and the pig
LITTLE HOG, WHERE ARE YOU????
And they talked…
I hope the piglet not listen to me!
Not listen to, not to me
Not to me either, asked the man
Not to me either, asked the girl
And you must, you must be gentle, said the woman, please… BYE BYE!
And she lost her pig
And she lost her, lost her (indecipherable)
A beautiful hook haven’t found
We’re reading here! This book tells you about AAAALLL the animals
All the animals, even duck aaaand… everything
And ALL this book says you tell it!
I’m not everything in the whole world!
Someone reading here of this book TELLS you about ALL the animals that I found somewhere
I think in the woods
I think in the real meadow, or somewhere else here
And a boy opened the door
See one girl passing by and another girl
And there was two girls and two boys
And them was opened the door, and found another hook
And, and… the monkey JUMPED and said
KITE! My magic tree please! I don’t want anything
And baby saw
And the girl thought… and said
Do!… girls!... boys!
Girls and boys?... Girls and boys, COME!
And someone saw, and the girls didn’t come! O.K.!
OK, I will meet you dinosaurs
And the dinosaurs didn’t come either
And she stopped the other one
Where did we stop? Here? Right?
Chapter Eleven
And there was a kid, right?
And the man got a hook… SO
(whispers)
So they got some for the man, a present for the man
Asked who got a hook
(Sighs) And… the man got the hook, the little hook, by the bench
And the present already done
Engine number nine… engine number nine!
Going down…. PLEASE!
And the man get up and said, “THIS IS FUN!
Doop ah doo, doop a doo, doop a doo doo” (singsong)
SO, and the man do this
So, the man choosing this, he said
“I’m a man, who’s strong! So strong! Somewhere”
What??... What? I haven’t… I’m somewhere, I didn’t know…
Whether or not I here, there! Here and there. Anywhere!
Never mind… do a present, by ourselves!

No comments: