I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Wednesday 6 June 2007

Reading a dinosaur book, 2007-06-05

I got this video clip at the Singapore Science Center library, where we stopped by for a short break. She'd taken a few of the dinosaur books off the shelf and sat there "reading" for a little while. Sorry that the audio quality is so poor on the video - I still haven't figured out why it does that!

CLICK HERE TO VIEW VIDEO

Dinosaurs!
And none of their bones ever living again, they all’s gone
(indecipherable) Books
None have escaped, they, dinosaurs..
(Indecipherable) knew about dinosaurs
One of the lives of the biggest creatures of all times…
DINOSAURS!
And (indecipherable)
Protoceratops have no horns
Although many have one horn or others
OH!!! Protoceratops, protoceratops… are dinosaurs!
It all died out, (indecipherable) it’s a reptile
Paleontologists liked (whispers) protoceratops to shut up
(Indecipherable), it’s a dinosaur!
Dinosaur!
Dinosaurs have covered the earth
Something like to
Dinosaurs! In the … have
Is, is this ichthyosaurus? Ichthyosaurus?
Me: uh-huh
Ichthyosaurus, ichthyosaurus, it have got two fin
Is this iguanodon? Iguanodon?
Me: hmm, I’m not sure, I don’t know..
Is this iguanodon? Nooo, maybe it’s not iguanodon
Maybe it’s someone else! Maybe it’s not iguanodon
Is this iguanodon? Maybe it’s not…
And the mommy see what happening with dinosaur….
Baby don’t want them to chew us now daddy
And mommy says don’t matter, the palaeontologist will help them
And they watched, to their home… dinosaurs
Got it next… this one have no words…
I can see them…
Is this corythosaurus? Is it corythosaurus?
Me: yes
That’s corythosaurus, and the reptiles they said
Corythosaurus, where are you?
And they walked… they passing
They walking and they tried to walk near them
But… this one? This one?
I don’t know…
I don’t know ALSO!
Heh! So they laughed, they doing something
Don’t know what… but this (indecipherable)
Oh! Found a… (runs away)


After that she continued reading a little way away. I sneaked up with my MP3 recorder in hand ;)

Dinosaurs!
Dinosaurs covered the earth
Is there iguanodon in here? (to me)
Ah, never mind.. I check it in my hand
Baby? What? Wake! Be awake!
Something is happening with the dinosaurs
This book help you to see they grow, where they lived
How they died out
And the others, maybe they died out also
And they found a little book…
Who is it? (to me)
Me: deinonychus trying to eat iguanodon
What is he doing?
Me: deinonychus is attacking iguanodon
What is he doing?
Me: he’s killing him
Who is here?
Me: Triceratops
Triceratops, what is he doing?
Me: the t-rex is trying to eat the triceratops
Uhhh, uhhhh… the t-rex RAN AWAY FAST!
Me: shhh! don’t shout
They ran away fast!
Who is this?
Me: it’s a tooth
Whose tooth?
Me: deinonychus tooth

No comments: