I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Wednesday 13 June 2007

Hop on Pop, 2007-06-08

Well, this is more real pretend reading than storytelling, but it shows how she's been attempting to really read. I think when the books are easier for her like this, she's increasingly trying to read the actual text on the page, whereas when the book is well beyond that possiblity (as in chapter books or MY books!) she just launches straight into more elaborate storytelling. I've marked anyplace where I respond to her with an M:

I can’t read… Hop on Pop
Hop on Pop
Hop on Pop by Dr Seuss
By Dr Seuss
What does this say?
M: Up Pup
Up Pup, and Down Pup
Up and Down Pup
Up and down pup
Mouse on the house!
Mouse is on the house
Mouse is on top of the house
There’s some more…
They all play ball
ALL play ball, go down the wall
What does this say? What does this say?
M: Play
Play night, and play day!
Turn page…
Jim after him, Jim is after him, Jim is after him
He see, he see three bees, he see bee….
What is that thing? The thing sing sing sing
What is that thing? That thing can sing!
That thing can sing too long, bye bye thing!
He walked and he talked
Mommy! I can READ mommy!
M: yeah, you can! You’re doing very well
What does this say?
M: Brown
And this one?
M: Mr.. Brown… Mrs
Mrs Brown? And who is this?
M: Mr Brown and Mrs Brown
What does this say?
M: Mr Brown, upside..
Down!
What does this say? ... pup… up… down… Brown…
M: Yes, excellent!
Pup down, and Brown up!
M: And where is brown?
Brown!
M: Where is Brown? There is Brown. Mr Brown is out of…
Town!

No comments: