I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Saturday 2 June 2007

Short stories, 2007-06-01

More stories from yesterday's car rides... I recorded them onto my MP3 recorder - the background is noisy, which is why I'm not posting the audio files themselves.

"Reading" a small board book about a lion (not the actual story!)
Only male lions have manes
But only male lions have manes
I think male lions have manes inside
I think, said baby, I think they're inside the body
I think NOT... I think inside daddy's body!
I think! I think they're inside also, I think they're inside
I think not! said baby
I think they inside the lion's tummy
I think the lion eat it already
I think... go and check!
Have the lion eat it?
Noooo... the lion haven't eat it here!
And whaaat... what is here?
Is he pointing here? Or is he there?
Here! Actually, we are pointing here,
He is pointing there!

"Reading" a Thomas board book (this one is pretty close to the actual words of the story)
Go train go train go train!
The green word says
Go train go train go train!
Heeeeere the judge, in her big red hat
She going to see the train show
Take me Thomas, take me fast
Go train go train go train!
The train.. the judge hat.. see it's flying! The judge hat!
When it going so fast, all the people, any people hat
Then it go away just like that! When it go fast!
When it go very fast, the judge lost her hat!
...what does this say? this say?
Me: clickety clack
Clickteyuh clack, clickteyuh clack
The judge lost her hat!
Clickteyuh clack, clickteyuh clack,
Clickteyuh clack, clickteyuh clack
Clickteyuh clack, clickteyuh clack
He going so slow...
Clickteyuh clack, clickteyuh clack (slowing down dramatically)

"Reading" The Cat in the Hat comes Back (also very close to the actual words!)
The Cat in the Hat comes back, by Dr Seuss
There no time for play, there no time for fun
There no time for play, there work to be done
We are cleaning it away
We haven't do it
We haven't time
Sally and me
And there's work to be done
And we working like that
And suddenly we saw the cat
This is not a bad trick
The cat in the hat
I saw him! I saw him...
He running... he do BAD tricks!

No comments: