I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Tuesday 19 June 2007

The giraffe and the Pelly and Me, 2007-06-17

She was pretending to read from Roald Dahl’s “The Giraffe, the Pelly and Me” for this one. Seems pretty true to the essence of the actual story, except for the last section.

I peeked in from the door… I saw nothing inside!
And I didn’t know what to do
And I peeked inside!
And a bathtub came down, not UP!
Someone came to throw it!
The door, and something like that ALSO!
The bathtub! And the bathtub dripping along the wall
I knew somebody have opened it
And the door flew open!
And a head and opened, shout, and a (indecipherable) door to open
And he left the door open, “Who are these creatures??” asked me
“The giraffe and the pelly and me!” (indecipherable)
My beak, my beak,
HO WAH HO WAH (sings)
Asked the monkey little dance, a little dance (indecipherable)
Why can’t I do it? Why can’t I do it? Asked the pelican (singing)
The pelly and the giraffe (sings to a stop)
And he flew up to the monkey…
(singing whispers) this is… what?....
What is this man?
Who are these creatures?
Who are these creatures?
I want the big black one!
I want the big, black one!
Please give me the BIG one!
Get my gun, get my gun, get my gun
Get my gun, get my gun, get my gun
Someone eating that cherries
MY CHERRIES!
And I picked some cherries
Then the old man probably have (indecipherable)
I CRACKED THE SIDE! But picked it!
This creature, he found
I want to get it, asked the giraffe carefully
He getting longer and longer and longer
And taller and taller and taller!
And some more (indecipherable)
And they sang this
COFFEE DIO CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP (sings)
(indecipherable) now opened, and the giraffe said this, and they snapped
And I… I, did open… my neck, with my neck!
I’m Chapter Nine!
They are OH KAY said the (indecipherable)
One day someone gave them a gun, my necklace
And my necklace, and my necklace, and my necklace, and my necklace (chants)
Six of them, and wait for you, POLICE… police…(chants)
And I told… why wait for you! (chants)
They here, and they all came down a tree
And the (indecipherable) came (indecipherable) here
(indecipherable)
And none of them, none of them, and the banana tree
(indecipherable)
And this banana tree, and this banana tree, and this banana tree
Balls and trees and all the things… (chants)
A lot of things…
A shop… sweets… shop….
They got softer and softer and softer and softer!
The end!
The whole book of engine number nine
The whole book, the whole book, the whole book
One day when I be eat in my shop, in the sweet shop
The sweet, the sweet… someone have been eaten, everyday
And a rocket did come by
And (knocks recorder, very noisy) outside
Inside and outside and in!
Inside and outside and inside and out!
Inside and outside and inside and outside and inside and…
Once upon a time (too noisy)
Baby climbed up the little hook by the bench
Little hook by the bench!
I saw a little hook by the bench!
I talk about a little hook by the bench!
I KEEP asking it!
The barrel (indecipherable)
The owner seems to be eating it
Somebody eating my porridge everyday, someone, someone, someone have to (sings)
Someone, someone (sings)
I didn’t notice. Look!
I didn’t notice
SOMETHING FLEW OPEN! And the door CRASHED!
And the door FLEW…. Flew open, and I RUN AWAY FROM THE NOISE!
And I didn’t (whispers) stop… I stopped
A PAIR OF GREEN PANTS! NOBODY INSIDE THEM!
Nobody in the pants….
The pants in green sing a little song
And the hook by the bench
And the crack flew open!
And (indecipherable)
Down…. down, down, gravity and I run away (sings softly)
The giraffe and the pelly and me (still singing)
The giraffe and the pelly and me (singing softer and softer)
The giraffe and the pelly and me (fading away)
And… flew OPEN! And…. it didn’t, it didn’t…

No comments: