I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Saturday 16 June 2007

Little Bear, 2007-06-15

She had one of her old board books for this, Little Bear Paints the World.

Little Bear paint the world
And little bear climbed up the ladder
Up the ladder and down the ladder
Said, “This is fun! Let’s go on the apple tree!”
They picked some apples
And….could be here or there
So they didn’t know what to do
And daddy get little bear, inside a present
And little bear saw it was a grass paint
So little bear take the brush and baby hold the brush for him
So he, he then brushed, he brushed a little paint
And then, under there, under there
House clean, the house clean
The house clean…
House clean… the house cleaner got a lot of (indecipherable)
So, baby lost a hook at the bench
So, she, she decide… it NOT to go away
Mommy might be angry if she go away
And, she didn’t know what to do
And baby bear catch her mama there
She can’t get
Engine engine number nine (chants)
Going down the party line (chants)
When I stop upon the track, monkey sits upon the back! (chant)
And down, down they go!
And baby didn’t know what to do
And baby saw an ugly dragon in the wood
And baby saw mommy getting a present for her!
So, the sun is for the sun, it is for sun
Who didn’t know what to do
And the carrot (indecipherable)
Let’s go on the apple tree, asked little bear
And they goed on the apple tree
Is that the wolf??? You can’t, wolf, go on the apple tree!
You might eat it!
You climb up the ladder, and down the ladder
So, he didn’t know what to do
Let’s go on the apple tree!
Me, I’m not going on the apple tree, and he climbed down the apple tree
What is lot of feather inside here?
And baby saw feather inside her playroom, so
Daddy picked it up and said this is a feather from a bird
This one from the yellow bird who hidden behind the bushes, in the tree
So, the bird began to sing, so…
Where did we stop?
So, baby stopped, and cried (indecipherable)
The wolf baby saw and said, “this is fun! let’s go”
The little bird down, go and sing
So, baby bear caught, I want to go
Why do I want to go away from you?
Because I want you to play with me!
They didn’t know what to do
And they didn’t know what to do
So, they gave them some buns, up in bed
So they didn’t know what to do
And they didn’t know what to do
Little Bear… what are you doing Little Bear?
Little Brown Bear! Little Grey Bear!
Put on some TV…. watched it for a long time
Nooow, baby walked it home now…
I will bring this book!
(walks away from recorder)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Minni - I saw the link to Bethany's site and had to check it out! I just love reading her stories. She has such a gift with not only imagining a story but effectively communicating it! Thank you for the idea of tape recording their amazing communication at this age. I will have to do that.

-Megan & Campbell (megandy)