I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Tuesday 5 June 2007

Of piggies and dinos, 2007-06-03

Ok, this one has large gaps because I left the recorder on beside her while I went for a shower, and she moved away from it at some points. In fact, she's been getting increasingly physically involved in her stories, yesterday she was telling one where a character twirled around, and she got up and twirled around, without a break in her storytelling!

The storyline sounds like its influenced by a mish mash of Charlotte's Web, dinosaurs and Alice in Wonderland.

And baby, baby shouted, “MOMMY!”
And mommy said “you have to, you have to, you have to attempt to be tame, you might be not”
And (background too noisy to hear several words) and tame, and others
“And where something is eating you”
Then baby go inside
She see, she see bugs,
She see some bugs, and catch in, in, in such a hurry
“Don’t forget! The carnivores somewhere in the jungle
You might see them in the jungle”
And baby saw a river in such, in such a hurry
She might go in it
And baby saw…
Time for lunch
And baby go for lunch because daddy said it time for lunch
And daddy cooked, and said “IT’S LUNCHTIME!”
And baby ate…helpfully…
It a little cottage… and mommy and daddy
And daddy have knees and toes and…daddy
“STOP IT DADDY, STOP IT!”
And baby go, go go go go!
Baby in the river
And baby saw the baby, other baby in such a hurry
And baby and the river
Baby saw the river, she might go inside it
And mommy said “Don’t! Go in it!”
And baby saw (indecipherable) to have it
Baby and the river
And next, baby saw, it was a river
Baby might go in it, and baby go in it
And said “this is a wonderful place”
And, and saw go down to the tea cosy
And baby saw tea cosy
Settled down in the hay like a speckled tea cosy
And baby SAW far… and baby saw
She saw mommy. Mommy said
(moved away from the recorder so couldn’t hear until I moved it into place again)

“You will go to the beach, little piggy will go inside, go inside the hay”
And, and Fern went to get some seashells
So baby and Fern got a bottle full, and she saw piggy
She saw piggy he got a little bottle himself, and that bottle
Settled down in the hay like a speckled tea cosy
Aaaand the speckled tea cosy got a little bottle for him!
Aaaand the BOTTLE, the piggy got a little bottle for himself
Aaaand he TOOK a little bottle from the kitchen
Aaaand he settled down in the hay like a speckled tea cosy
Aaaand the speckled tea cosy got a little bell and some rubber
Aaaand the little speckled tea cosy got a little speckle on himself!
Aaaand…
And baby got a little bottle for himself aaaand
Aaaand..baby got a little bottle for himself and he took it from baby
And got down in the hay, like a speckled tea cosy
Aaaand, the lamb passed on and he said “I, I, I, I saw you”
And he walked away like a speckled tea cosy
And the speckled tea cosy he flew away
And baby “WAH WAH WAH WAH”
“What are you doing? I, I, I come to ask you, I come ask you because
To check on you! Because, I was in the little cottage
Looking for food, inside the cottage
Find the food, so I can eat”
“Why can’t eat? Because we weren’t stopping you!”
Baby was looking for food just now in the cupboard
And baby said “there’s some food there”
So she can eat
She look for some dinosaur food
So, she a dinosaur, look for food in a cottage!
And she GOT NO PIGGY!
And someone look at when we cook
Now she looking properly
What’s going away, so…
Soon no mommy, and daddy
But, some little piggy
And a spider GOT something
And wrapped it up
Aaaand the piggy wrapped it up and “boohoo boohoo, I want my friends back”
And the spider look for friends
And he can, can see it
And he, he GOT for the piggy because he your friend
And piggy got a little bottle for himself
And he TOOK a hook out from a caterpillar
“See? Caterpillar GOT it from me, for himself
For himself, for himself
(Wandered away from the recorder again)

No comments: