I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Monday 4 June 2007

Inspired by Charlotte's Web, 2007-06-03

She's been obsessively pretending to read Charlotte's Web ever since she first saw the book yesterday morning. This recording was the first time she did this, after I'd read 2 chapters to her - she grabbed the book and said "I read it myself", and continued in unbroken pretend-reading for half an hour, interrupted only by her cousin entering the room, otherwise who knows how long she might have gone on!

Mommy have to do it and baby don’t have to!
And daddy got a piggy
Gone to help him…and do it
Any day, when, when, when, when, when the animals lived
And they lived, somewhere
Inside the piggy
And they haven’t GOT it, the piggy... and they GOT the piggy
And do with the piggy something… they have to do something
"You haven’t got it", said daddy
In such a hurry and this is GOT mommy
In, in, in a place
Where, where this have in this garden!
"Close your eyes!" and said mommy, "get your dog, go get your dog", asked mommy
"I will but later", said baby, "I will GET the dog"
"Hurry up!" To mommy and said, "you haven’t got it",
"I’m a big girl" and said
"I will go to mommy" and said, "What are you DOING mommy?"
"And you GOT it!" BABY lost...
Asked when baby going
Ask daddy
And DADDY TRIED TO PUT baby in a small (indecipherable)
And mommy talked, "baby"
And daddy GOT baby at last
And daddy go
Raaaaan to mommy and said, "what are you doing?"
And said "got! And BABY GOT IT!"
And said "this is a mommy, I will do this with mommy"
"You haven’t", and baby got it
And mommy says "don’t I.. I cannot, I’m doing it"
And baby says "I can’t…"
"Because what?" said mommy
"What are you doing?"
"I’m standing near the wall because.."
And mommy standing near the wall and because
Baby shoot up and say
"What are you doing?"
"Standing on the wall becaaaause… I want to go somewhere else"
"Why you doing that? In such a hurry? Because what?"
And the piggy got up and said "What are you doing?"
And the piggy going inside the ball
And said "what what what are you doing?"
"I’m inside!" Asked the piggy, "And what are you doing?"
"I’m the piggy! got this piggy! Got this piggy at last!" The baby got it
And said (calling out) "Water! It’s water time!"
And the piggy settled down
And the baby laughed! and said "I want some some some water!"
And the piggy sat down in the hay, in the hay
And baby settled down in, in the hay also
And baby GOT from mommy, and baby GOT! settled
And the DOG and (indecipherable)
And said "What are you doing and this pig?"
And they settled down in the hay
Until they found a bus and they climbed on it
And…
At last they settled down on, on, on the table
And on it GOT baby at last
And baby GOT up and said "What are you doing?"
And baby GOT help from mommy at last
"Hey, mommy GOT baby and daddy got it, got it already
Got mommy already, and you haven’t"
And baby heard a noise
"WHAT THAT?"
"That the goose", said baby
And mommy looked up! and shoot up and said
"I’m standing behind the wall"
"Can you there do that?" asked the goose
"I CAN’T!" said baby
"I shoot here, shoot up!"
And baby shoot up and said "What is this?"
"I got it" said baby
"What is it? That I got in your hand?..."
"And the aircon" said baby "AND THE AIRCON!"
"I don’t want any noise to come"
And baby shoot up and said "Goose? What are you doing?"
"I want, I want something"
And baby shoot up and said
And baby shoot up and said, "What do you want?"
And the goose shoot up and said, "I want something, please get me something"
And baby shoot up and said "I want to shoot up"
And baby shoot up and said, "I want something!"
And mommy said, "What are you doing?"
And the piggy said, "I want something"
The piggy GOT hope from mommy!
And said "I want the mommy, please send me the mommy"
And baby shoot up and said "The goose want you"
And mommy shoot up and said "He don’t want me"
And mommy shoot down and said "I want something.. maybe I’m something"
And mommy SHOOT UP again and said "I want something"
"He want something"
"I want something, please get me something"
And mommy said "No I can’t because I’m hungry"
And mommy shoot up and said "I want this… lunch"
"Have a lunch you haven’t got it"
"I WANT IT! Ask mommy"
"WHY, WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY" said baby
And baby GOT the book from daddy and said
"What are you doing" by daddy
And mommy got this and like laughed and mommy said "You haven't" and she heard a noise
(singing softly) "Dumpy dumpy I want cornflakes I want I want I want to say.."
From the piggy
And they saw a lamb just now, in such a hurry!
They warned the piggy because...
They SAW the piggy and ran after him and said
"I want you!" asked the lamb
"You haven’t got it"
"Number 5 I’m number 5 because I’m at number 5, right?"
"I’m at number 5 also!"
AND baby laughed
GOT that mommy at last and the goose didn’t!
And the goose RAN towards him and said
"It’s aaaallllll the piggy, have they found him and heard him"
And the piggy laughed
The piggy thought "I am a king"
And the piggy he find the hay
In such a hurry, in such a hurry, in such a hurry
And the spider came
"And they GOT ME at last
And baby not there anymore
And they sent me in the hay
From the hay and...
They warned me because I be so sad
I want to see my friends back
And they don’t let me to my friends
Because my friends all there
So, they haven’t got me
And the spider got me because at last.."
The piggy, we haven’t got it
"I, I might stay back and, and… settle down in the hay, comfortable
And say something else
Maybe tell you one eye"
And there is little spider
And the spider want him and said "I want you!" say the spider
And him don’t want
There have a doorway
So, he peeked out from his window and..
GOT the spider at last
And he want, he want the spider
So, he settled down in the hay with, with the spider
And they heard a noise
(Singing softly) "Dumpy dumpy dumpy dump"
And they looked out the window, because, they heard
"LOOK! THAT IS LAMB!"
And they heard a noise
(singing softly) "Dumpy dumpy dumpy"
(whispering too softly to hear, for quite a while)
"That is a shooting star… I saw it!"
(more whispers)
BABY SAW a.. a piggy, running by! (pants loudly)
Asked, asked baby
And he didn’t stop or wait
And he running fast from the piggy
"Haahh.. the pig!" (whispers more)
And they saw a shooting star…
They haven’t, they GOT the piggy at last and the piggy cried
"Wah wah wah wah!"
(Cries) asked the piggy
"I want, I want my friends back!"
And he settled down in the hay and he…
"Wah wah wah wah wah"
He didn’t fight!
And he very happy
"Boo hoo boo hoo boo hoo"
And he cried "Wah wah wah wah"
He settled down in the hay at last
They haven’t got him
They haven’t got him and laughed..
Baby very happy
"Boo hoo boo hoo boo hoo" said the spider
"I want the piggy, I want the piggy back!"
"No", asked the friends, "don’t be, don’t be cry"
"Don’t cry!"
Because they want his friends back
When you got them
"But I want him!" And he wiped a tear from his eye!
From his, from his friend at last
(Sings) And the A says AH, the A says AH, every letter makes a sound, the A says AH (Leap Frog song)
The friends ask the piggy
Mommy and the web, mommy and the web
And baby got this, the baby at last, baby GOT this
Mommy at last, mommy and GOT the baby!
Mommy got the web
Baby can’t got it, can’t
Mommy GOT daddy
One day baby sleeping and mommy sleeping also
And daddy awake and said "I HEARD A NOISE! WHAT IS THAT!"
And mommy wake up and said "It’s a frog"
And daddy was asleep again and mommy also
And mommy heard a noise, "WHAT IS THAT?"
"That’s a owl" said daddy, "that was a owl"
"I just want to wake up the, the, the omnivores" said baby
And wiping his tears on mommy shirt and mommy heard a noise
"WHAT IS THAT? I HEARD A NOISE!"
And mommy heard a noise, and said "What is that?"
"That a owl" said daddy
At last hoping baby was asleep
When baby heard a noise and she sleeping
"WHAT THAT?" Said baby
And mommy said "That a piggy bank"
And baby and took the hook from daddy’s nose
And said "This is…" and baby said "this for eating"
"And you eat, see? I’m eating this hook from, from your mouth!"
"I HAVE IT!" Declared mommy
"I WANT IT! I haven’t eaten it yet" asked baby
ANNNND baby settled down in the hay!
See what you can see
And baby says "You can’t run in such a hurry"
"In such a hurry you haven’t, haven’t..."
And baby settled down in the hay
And they settled down in the hay
And baby says, "please! I want the hook back, ask mommy"
"I haven’t eaten it yet, I haven’t" asked baby
And mommy settled down in the hay like a speckled tea cosy
And baby heard a noise
"WHAT IS THAT?" Asked daddy
"That a frog" asked mommy
And daddy asleep again
And mommy heard a noise
"WHAT IS THAT?" Asked mommy
"I heard a noise" said daddy
And mommy settled down in the hay like a speckled tea cosy
And daddy heard a noise and was asleep again
Mommy cried "WAH WAH WAH WAH"
And mommy heard a noise
"WHAT IS THAT? THAT GOT A OWL IN IT?"
And mommy heard a noise
and said, and said "that a crying, a crying from another kind"
and heard a noise
"WHAT THAT?" Asked mommy
and the, and the… the
"WHAT IS THAT?"
And mommy shoot up
And that a robin
And mommy heard a noise and said
"THAT IS A SPIDER!"
Asked baby against the rock
"That was a… that was a…
Spider" (very softly)
And mommy was asleep again
And…
And the spider turned around, turn around, turn around,
Like a, like a jellyfish
"And you haven’t, baby got it
You haven’t got it"
And mommy write it down, it was funny
And baby get daddy at last and said to them,
"And don’t be scared daddy and mommy"
And settled down in the hay like a speckled tea cosy
And baby got (indecipherable)
And baby haven’t
"That was funny…babyyyyyy
I like your home…
Please come home with me…"
Mommy got baby and mommy sat down
Like a speckled tea cosy
Like a speckled tea cosy, mom!
Mommy settled down like a speckled tea cosy
When she saw something, in a book, this book!
Baby in it, aaand baby GOT mommy and said
"He pushed her with the shirt, and…"
The mommy at last, and baby got mommy at last
When she got it, baby said, "you haven’t got it"
And daddy got baby at last
And mommy and daddy got at last
"Mommy and daddy you haven’t…"
(Coughs) Daddy was coughing, and daddy EVER take them
And daddy got an eye in you
And mommy settled down like a tea cosy
And mommy heard a noise, when she sleeping
In, in the hay…she heard a noise
(Sings) And the A says AH, the A says AH, every letter makes a sound, the A says AH (Leap Frog song)
The A says OOOOH! (chants repeatedly and frantically for half a minute or so)
(laughs)
The A A A E A
(interrupted by cousin entering the room)

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Whoa, now MY head is spinning! That is truly amazing. I loved "settled down in the hay like a speckled tea cozy" and "wiped a tear from his eye." But most of all, the length and detail is astounding!