I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Thursday 27 September 2007

A bunch of weird names, 2007-09-01

“Hi!” said Corythosaurus. The line of dinosaurs was not looking out, only at night.

(Indecipherable phrase, then addresses me:

You can’t record me. You can’t record me. You can’t record me, I’ll record myself!

M: Yup, you can record yourself... you record yourself just hold it

B: Speak into it, no time for little play. You have to press).

So, so terrified, to see there were so many twiggies. (Squealy voice) There were so many twiggieeees!

(More scrabbling as she adjusts the recorder, asking me: Can it be here? M: Come I’ll hold it for you. B: I want you to listen. M: I’m listening).

Corythosaurus was not looking out mommy. (Me: Ok). And, ah! What happened? After that page, there was a challenge, on.. on the door. Then Corythosaurus opened it, and nobody was there – it was a letter. (To me: Do you want me to show the letter to you? Me: Ok). The letter has a tear, and it was Plesiosaurus. “Plesiosaurus dear old friend,” (to me: that’s what it says. Me: Mm-hmm). So...

Corythosaurus was so nine(?), but only a knight. Then a BOOM!!!! came! A BOOOOOM!!!! Then everybody shouted out “Quick! Hide!” Everybody hided. Then... it was only a fish! The fish hided from the boom.

The SHAKALAKA BOOM, the Shakalaka Boom! (This is a line from the game Wizards and Kings that she’s recently been obsessed with from the GameGoo website). (Chuckles, to me: It’s Shakalaka, Shakalaka. Me: Shakalaka boom? B: Yeah. Me: Ok. B: Here is it... it from where? Me: From that game that you play. B: Laughs. What is it, make believe? Me: Just make believe? B: Yes. Me: Ok).

Then there was a light purple one. Then got a key, then read.

Pleseiosaurus was so, so terrified of the noise. Then aNOTHER boom came, then everybody shouted out, “Quick, hide!” No chickens saved, it was only the chickens who came. They were dead.

Their death was so, so nine(?). Hundred million years ago there lived a young man, but he.. he don’t got any name. He was a young, young man but he got no.. his name was Noak. (Me: Noah?) No, it wasn’t. (Me: Ok, ok). It’s Noyk. (Me: Noyk?) Yes. (Me: Ok). (Chuckles, to me): I forgot the name! (Me: So what happened to Noyk?) Noyk was.. was walking in the river then GOED OUT from the river then walked into a bush. He walked and walked on the heath and into the.. into one bush. That what happened! He walked over this hill, then climbed into the far slope, then goed... goed, goed, go go go go go go go, and he climbed into that bush!.... Then he goed, goed here, then goed down, then go here, then go here, then go Cook...

Noak! Different! It different like the other one.... (Me: which other one?) It’s different like Noepush...

Noepush. Noepush then to Noekup.

Noekup. “Noekup!”

“What do you want?” said Noepuh.

“No time,” said Noak. There were then fighting with Noak. No time for little Noain to learn about. His grandfather was talking and his mama was not talking.... (This next section she pretends to point out a bunch of characters in an imaginary photo).

Mike. Mike was push puhnike. (Me: huh?) Puhnike. (Me: Puhnike?) Yes. (Me: What’s Puhnike?) He.. he.. he’s Cook’s mother. (Me: Puhnike is Cook’s mother?) Yes.... Yes! (Me: I thought the story was about Noyk?) Noyk went to sleep already.... then he died... (Me: Why?) Because that what happened! (Me: Ok... what about Noepush and what was the other one.. Noekup?) Noekup there, they’re just sleeping. Do you want me to read Noak? (Me: Yeah!) Noepuck, Noekup. (Me: Ok). Or Poetsup. (Me: All of them).

Dootkupt, Duptup, Look Corip, it’s.. it’s.. it’s Cook’s mother..and Pushyne is his friend. (Me: Ok...). In the sweater, I.. I don’t know the name. I only know his friend’s name is Corip. His sister and his mother. (Me: Ok). But I don’t know he.. he’s, he’s just Porip. He’s just Porip... This is just Porin, this is Coripkipe. (Transcriber’s note: I’m just spelling them as they sound to me here! All these invented names drive me nuts!) This is Pyne, his brother.

Noepyne was living with Corythosaurus. After Noepyne was living with Corythosaurus, CORIP came near there there... to near the edge, there bonked his head! Then he BONKED his head by his hammer. Then... Doy, then Doyne came near us. Toych, that led him to the bottom of the gorge, he slide down it. Then he went to the bottom, then he saw a bump. Then he BUMPED on his bum. (Chuckles).

Compsognathus, Compsognathus! Compsognathus got a two-legged, he could run very very fast. And not Norip... Norip couldn’t.

Dimorphodon. Dimorphodon. Dimorphodon was four legged.

T-rex. He could run very fast. T-rex.... Tyrannosaurus was two legged. He could.. much he was before, when the time goes high in the eaten(?), would eater(?) was. The eater(?) was, was so hot and beachy.

Corythosaurus went down it, then he.. he bumped down on the sand. It’s a beach.

Nodosaurus. Nodosaurus was got.. Nodosaurus. Nodosaurus was four legged and he was so heavy until the bottom of the gorge let him down.

What a.. Diplodocus! Diplodocus. Diplodocus was four legged. He was heavy like Demontodaurus(?).

Demontodaurus(?) was high... this is Demontodaurus(?). (Me: Demontodaurus?) Yes. (Me: What dinosaur is that?) This one I’m looking at. This one... this one got stripes.

Cool Dimetrodon was four legged and was heavy like Brachiosaurus, then Diplodocus was not looking out. Mmm... Dimetrodon... Dimetrodon was four legged and was heavy like Brachiosaurus, then he was even heavier like.. he was heavier like Brachiosaurus.

Dimetrocook. (Me: Dimetrocook?) Yes!(Laughs, then runs away...)

No comments: