I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Friday 7 September 2007

Corythosaurus saves Joey, 2007-08-29*

This is from recording 4 of 10, but is the first part of that recording as she told two stories one immediately after another. I like this one for its lengthy speeches, and her funny Joey voice is back again :)

Listen to Bethany tell this story HERE


Didn’t look, but only the vultures circled above him, and all the dinosaurs, all the herbivores and all the carnivores sat down for a rest

Everybody tried to ROAR and UHH and make lot of noise and they’re banging and stamping and bursting out with laughter and, “Hey! Down there... are maybe Kohbahzine or maybe Shark or maybe Notrike or maybe Coldpine or Sarcoke or Nineown or maybe King Corin or maybe Paul Porin or..”, then three of them banged and, “Yuck?”

“(Squeaky voice) My new mine adventure, I haven’t.. someone locked me up in this cage, someone have to help me.. help! Help!” said the Joey

“I will help you,” said Corythosaurus.

And he said, “Help that Joey, Corythosaurus. Someone trapped her in that cage... way behind the forest, after the angry dimorphodon and the angry iguanodon. You have to help her, behind those things. Said was so bad and so angry... and fighting, and fighting and fighting. You have to help her before being find those angry things.... the cage it is just behind them. She, she called for you. You have to help her!”

He helped her. He goed.. he goed to the angry thingy, then he found a cage behind it. Behind it there’s an angry thingy, but it was in the cage.

He found it! He found it then he bringed it to Triceratops

“Good evening,” said Triceratops, “he won’t get out of the woods, right?” he said

“Yes, I did. There are no angry pixies or no angry thingies there, but only thingies. Only angry dimorphodons and out the cage, but they were running away from me because they didn’t want me to step on them. They want to be alive. So I didn’t, I stepped on them, they was died.”

Then all the, all of them they said, “DON’T squish my friend! They are NOT for you! Not for you to squish them angry thingy”

Then he goed away and said, “OHOHOH, I cried so much!” said Corythosaur, “I want to... I thought they was friends.. my friends”

And they squished them, and they squished the angry pixie

(Indecipherable), Theee End!

1 comment:

Hearts said...

hey minni, popping by to read Bethany's stories. Amazing vocab and imagination. My kids have nointerests in dinasaurs though. ahaha... how are things? Take care eh!
Martha