I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Sunday 2 September 2007

He died and died and died and died, 2007-08-29

Oh my, she really IS quite obsessed with death and killing...

This was the first story I recorded first thing in the morning on the 29th of August - I had decided to try and record every single story she told on that day, just to see how many she really does tell in one single day, since I usually only manage to record a fraction of what she's doing... (I still have a large number of video files that I haven't yet had time to listen to or transcribe!)... in the end, I got 9 proper MP3 files and one good video, one more mp3 recording didn't turn out due to the device not being used correctly (daddy did it!) and she told 2 other stories that she refused to let me record, saying they were "not ready" and "bad stories"... so a total of 13 stories in one single day! And this is her normal/average activity/intensity level in terms of storytelling! One BIG difference is that she's changed from being recorder-phobic to WANTING someone to sit beside her and listen to her story and not minding being recorded at all!

Oh, one thing to note about ALL recordings (or most of them anyway) - very often once she's ready to start (or when I notice she's about to) I turn on the recorder, but mine takes a short while to boot up (argh!), so most of the time I miss the start of the story :( - she doesn't really start the story from nowhere, but usually starts out with a "title", "illustrated by" and "publisher", as readers can see in some of the stories that I managed to record from the very start.

Listen to her tell this story HERE

Stepped on everybody, is even bigger!

It’s even bigger!

No time they didn’t look, for the, for the creature

The creature kept that sermon(?) by the stegosaurus question

He was not living out, no, inside.. he did inside

Then the creature goed inside, then the BIG creature kept on him, and he died

So much, so much I like him.. he died and died and died and died

Then died and died and died and died and died!!

Until and nobody said anything to him because he died..

But only blood came, didn’t look, he knew, there

Dinosaurs... out came the nineold open plain of the creature that came near to the dead dinosaur pit, killed by a BIG, VERY VERY BIG creature

He eat him already, then all the dinosaurs (makes shocked sound)... then, “Someone is gone! You have to find him!”

They saw clearly, the sea serpent... eat dimorphodon and the very, very big creature eat dimorphodon

“You better hurry everyone.. quick! Quick! Everyone, step onto board my car.. we can drive through him!”

(Indecipherable), they GET on to the car, then they DRIVE, DROVE through his house, then they say “(shocked noise) he’s gone???.... how shall we deal with it Aladar?”

“Ah, I know!” said (indecipherable), “just let there be, then Maiasaura to see, is she really or not, or not really...”

They trapped her

No, she was not busy, she was just doing some work

“No time sit there”

“Why? Who are you looking for? Is it our friend him know them be dead, did you find him already?”

“Yes! He is in my house... dead. Been dead all night and all along”

Anisim(?) was there, didn’t say anything

“Cook,” he said... Anisaur(?) didn’t say anything either when he said that

She shook his head, she shooked her head, “(indecipherable) uhm, who are you looking for?”

Laughing, he knew the dinosaurs.. he was dead, (drops voice) and laughing like when there’s no more there, and the BIG creature came and killed him last night... he was Allosaurus

Then he, he was looking for him

After the nineold... Centrosaurus came and fixed him, then he was well again, oh and he was so happy and JUMPED around and was, and was dead again

And he jumped around and he was HAPPY BACK!

Theee end!...... It’s the end already!

No comments: