I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Friday 14 September 2007

Sea creatures, 2007-08-29

She had already started this story and was well into it when I tried starting to record her. This is the last story in my backlog from the 29th August. There was one more video clip, but having just checked it, the audio was far too muffled for transcription...

Accidentally. But (too noisy) Icthyosaurus Kaiwen Tee. (Indecipherable).

(To me) I want you to listen to me! (This is a recent development – once she sees the recorder on me, that’s what she says and won’t go on unless I comply!)

Corythosaurus was not looking out for ichthyosaurus, but he was looking out for a dinosaur. And he was watching. He swimming and swimming and watch him, then he eat. Then Aladar eat deinosuchus! Made him gag! Made him vomit! Then he vomit down. Then he vomit up and down, up and down, then in the middle. Then look up! Then in the middle again. Then he DOWN he went. “DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN GRAVITY!” then he sing that song. Then he.. then he went there. And dead, and dead, and dead, and dead. And dead some more! Then he was even dead and dead and dead, then everybody STOP it, and stamp it for him.

No comments: