I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Sunday 30 September 2007

The Surprise Present, 2007-09-08*

I love how she builds up the suspense in this story with the surprise present - you have to hear her tell it to really appreciate it.

Listen to Bethany tell this story HERE.


I want you to listen! You have to sit down.

Corin lived in a long long village where a BANG came, then everybody SAW someone was there coming near them - it was a monster.

Chapter 14. With Aladar Corin.

With Aladar Corin was a monster. He scared everybody. Also Aladar and Corin and T-Rex and Tyrannosaurus and Pish and Corin and Pith and Corip, Piff and Corin and Chorin and Pith and Corythosaurus and Corip and Geem and Corip and Sikh, Seagull and Torin. He.. He was… he was… Chapter Fiveteen.

Chapter Fifteen. With Aladar Corin.

Aladar Corin was VERY VERY disappointed. “Are you disappearing?” he said.

“Aladar, I WILL get you to Turin Lane (?). And you been very naughty today. And all your friends have GONE away, and you have to be with lessons.”

“Aww, sorry ma… sorry mommy. I will be drink… I have to drink and go away.” He goed away for a second. Then he didn’t come back.

“COME ON! I GOT A SURPRISE FOR YOU!” said his mommy.

“What surprise is it?” he come back and said. “What sort of surprise do you got for me?” he asked.

“It’s a Nineown that you never seen before. I will open it for you.” So she opened it.

“Huhh!” Then he saw!

He get open it. Then he get to open ANOTHER one! And everybody saw!

Then Corin said, “Huhhh! A present??” He take it. Then Aladar shared with him. THEN, thank. So he let. THEN, he let another one.

Then someone said, “Is this a nice place?” he said, in a gloomily. In a nine place.

“It’s just a nice moonlight (laughs loudly). It my present, it’s Pin. Pin my present, but he‘s very small for now. He will grow bigger if I turn him to a Norip.”

Then he let there was Norip, when it grown up, and he became bigger and bigger like he friends.

So they walked and walked with Aladar’s per monkey, whose name was that they don’t know. Without a court, but with a sharp thing that Aladar Corin don’t know.

Aladar said, “It’s a poem that my monkey is holding.”

“Ah, maybe I don’t know the thing that you just said to me.” And they left.

“I WILL CLEAN!!!” He calmed back with a sword. Keep… keep… keep and Jill and thing and Ping and Pink and T-Rex and Pish and Chorin and T-Rex and Corin and Aladar and Jill. They all Aladar Corin’s friends.

Kip said, “I WON’T DO THIS! I WON’T DO THIS!!! I WON’T DO THIS! I WON’T DO THIS! I won‘t do this. I won‘t do this. I won‘t do this. I won‘t do this. I won‘t do this. I won‘t do this. I won‘t do this. I WON’T DO THIS! I WON’T DO THIS! I won‘t do this. I won‘t do this. I won‘t do this. I won‘t do this. I won‘t do this. I won‘t do this. I will hide, I will hide, I will hide…” (Collapses into laughter).

No comments: