I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Thursday 13 September 2007

More stories within the story, 2007-08-29

Also from the series of 10 recorded in one day. She started this one with long explanations to me about various things. I'm colour coding for readability. Black for when she's talking to me, blue for the story being told/written by Corythosaurus (story within the story) and green for the dialog between Aladar and Corythosaurus (the shell story). (I'm a bit confused sometimes which is what, but it's quite clear to me that these are the three main strands going on).


They’re a type of spirit selves, in this movie, they’re in this movie, ‘The Nineown Open Plains’. (Me: ok). They’re like the rocket that Aladar sent in, on his favourite rocket, of all the dinosaurs, all the herbivores.

This is a type of game. You have to swing and swing, you have to use your finger to swing this around. (She was making this up while pointing at a diagram in Stephen Hawking’s book, A Brief History of Time). This ball ‘round. (Me: oh, ok). It’s a type of game, you know. There’s another game I want to show you. (Flips the book’s pages looking for more diagrams).

This game. You have to swing to the other side and keep down and keep to the other side and keep down and keep to the other side! (Me: ok). Then another game, I want to show you. (Turns page to next diagram). This game! (Ok, I’ve forgotten what she was talking about for this one now, and even I can’t make out her diction when describing this game!) And there’s another one.

(In an undertone) I’ll show (loudly) THIS GAME! You have to point down, up and right, then down, then left.. then right! Then this is left.

Another game I want to show you, it’s a strategy game. This is in (indecipherable, turns pages again to find another diagram).. this is not a chucka game, THIS is a chucka game! And chucka chucka chucka chucka chucka chucka chucka... chucka chucka chucka chucka... this is the chucka game (me: ok).. you have to chucka chucka chucka to the up there then you have to chucka down to the down lake. That’s how you do it, you do this game! You have to do this game! (Me: how do you play?) You have to chucka chucka chucka. (Me: and how do you win?) You have to go and you have to win down there. (Me humouring her!) I run to the top. Do you want me to stop and read? (Me: yeah!) I will... I will read.

(2.38)

Death Behind... No Time Didn’t Look Outside

The Night of the Sea Serpent.

The Sea Serpent didn’t swim, but it was not (indecipherable) either. The level was too high and they can eat.

No, Chapter One, They Looked Outside.

No time did they look for it on nineish world, and it was only full of dinosaurs, but not Jilk(?). The milk won’t get down to the edge, of Chapter Two.

“Are you finished Chapter Two? Then go to Chapter One!”

He was not looking out but only a noise came, then a BANG!!! Then everybody shouted out, ‘QUICK! QUICK!’ Aladar pushed then everybody hided, and Camarasaurus said, ‘I WON’T DO IT, I WON’T HIDE, I will just do something with that bang,’ she said. She doed something, then itchy came, then it was tried to do outside a dying old open plains, and it tried to bang Camarasaurus when he, when he do that, but it didn’t, didn’t work. Then he just banged and banged and banged.

“Tack!” said Aladar, “that was a good fight!” he said. “Where did you hid it?”

“It was in the cupboard, where.. where my toys live, but my toys are not there. My toys are somewhere else, in a this chucka game, it’s a chucka chucka game! I’ll show you it, in my book. It’s this game, that I want to show you NOW. It’s another game... it’s this game I’m showing you.”

He put his finger on it, then then something happened. He get it on it, then he chuckad, he chuckad and chuckad and chuckad. “Chucka chucka chucka chucka chucka!” he said. He beed quiet, then a sea serpent didn’t came and he chuckad some more.. it came. He said, “It’s a good sea serpent,” he said.

“Why did you disturb me working?” he said. “I was just doing some work for my parents... where they live there were the not bad sea serpent, the good sea serpent. I’m working for them. What do you want with me? Are you doing.. do something with us because Corythosaurus got caught by the end of you rope so I have to find it, please,” he said

“I will, but I’m doing some work for my parents for now”

He finished it, his work. “What do you want?”

He said, “I didn’t know that”. There was a type of game, “This is the game! It’s chucka chucka chucka... it’s like the other game, chucka chucka chucka, chucka chucka chucka chucka, chucka chucka chucka, chucka chucka chucka chucka chucka, chucka chucka.”

No time didn’t look for little Cook to learn about his grandfather and mummy and his grandfather and his grandma and everything of, of he own. He owned this house. It’s he house, he bought Aladar’s house. This is Aladar’s house, Chapter Four! They looked out side.

Corythosaurus heard a loud bang. He looked out, then saw Aladar banging something with his hammer, his VERY VERY big hammer. But he was banging a pachycephalosaurus thingy, sharp thingy. He’s banging that. He said “he’s..” he said, “Aladar what are you doing with your hammer banging Pachy’s sharp thingy?” he said

He was sleeping, and sleeping and sleeping. “WAKE UP ALADAR!!!!! WAKE UP!!!!! TIME TO BONK ON HIS SHARP THINGY, BETTER WAKE UP! BEFORE HE BANGS SO SHARP THINGY.”

He banged Aladar’s own sharp thingy, then he had to bend his own sharp thingy, then EVERYBODY BANGED their own sharp thingy (indecipherable). Then all the thingies and all the maiasauras and all the caravan and all the horse can’t even BANG the sharp thingy. Then, then, then they were dead. Then everybody tried to ROAR out a herbivore who’s in the cave looking for a nineown open plain. There were vultures circling above them, and other vultures circling above the carnivores, herbivores and carnivores are... “NINE?? Of them be COOK KIND?” they said.

There were no time but only a bang. Chapter Seven, They Looked Outside.

There were no time but only a BANG. He, Aladar looked up of his head, then Pachy was bonking someone. He ran up and said, “Pachy, why do you bonk him?”

“I’m bonking the meteorites,” he said, Pachy said.

“Why you bonking the meteorites?” he said, said Aladar

“Because they might bonk them with my hammer.... and that not very good, because I’m bonking them. They might die if I do that. They want to stay alive but I’m, but I’m bonking them, near my thick skull. Then they will be broken, then I will have to go to the hospital and fix my head because I might be broken.”

So he fixed it, then he singed his little favourite song, “(SINGS) MY NEW OPEN ADVENTURE, MY NEW ROCKET GUN, GOH KAH GAH KAH MAH PAH DOO AH, MY NEW OWN ADVENTURE IS OUTSIDE!!!!!! My new open adventure, my new open adventure, my new open adventure. MINE!!!! But is not worrying. My new open adventure she said. My new open adventure because it’s not so long. Because it’s not so long like he patellas! He patellas! He patellas! He patellas!” he said. He, he was making patellas, not looking very well, but it was not so long.

“No time,” he said. So he putting his puzzle on up in the air with a loud bang, hammer, he said he was doing some banging, and banging and banging the roof so he can... “two iguanodons to help him,” said Aladar. Aladar said, “I will work for my parents too.”

A cu, a bar and a cucumber, it not looking out for “NO!!”

“No time!” he said, “I never do it, I’m only nine....”

Something is wrong! The name is not wrong, the sentence is wrong, but the name is wrong!! It called Cook Cuck, supposed to be Seth Poock.... it have to! It’s wrong! It have to be “e” first and “eh” then “b” then “eck” then “e” then “poock” then “f” then “b” then... but NOOOOO! BUT IT’S WRONG!!! It’s this, it’s this human, it wrong, it Cook Cook, but it had to IT WRONG!! NO IT HAVE TO BE THIS NAME. This one, it’s this one, it have to! Like this thing in, supposed to be like this “h”.....Yes, it’s this one!

Aladar didn’t look outside in Corythosaurus new open window after. He was not looking out for a.. a.. window. Chapter Nine, They Looked Outside. There were no time but only some BIG words. There no small little words..

No comments: