I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Friday 31 August 2007

Aladar tells another story, 2007-08-28**

This story is unusual because suddenly out of the blue she addresses daddy who is recording her. It seems she has suddenly developed a keen awareness of telling a story for an audience! Perhaps this is closely related with her sudden change of heart 2 days ago about wanting us to record her, from previously hating to be recorded! (Ref. Useful context of these stories)


The story is still told by Aladar, and includes a lovely characterisation of voices in the conversation between Joey the baby kangaroo and the dinosaurs.

LISTEN TO THIS STORY HERE


Tracks behind Corythosaurus.... Tracks behind Corythosaurus!... Illustrations by B.Watten(?)... Ladybird (she likes to imitate how I always read the title, illustrator and publisher’s names when we read together... usually author too.., but not this time apparently)

There no time after the dinosaurs died, near to the new adventure of Corythosaurus and Edmontosaurus

She was sitting all over the grass, then the whole ground was shaking with fear

Then the house goed inside the sea and so much everything, it’s too much BIG meteorites came near them, and they swimmed in the sea and tried to run away from them

“Edmontosaurus, are you doing it???” he turned the page, then lift his face and go out from there, that place, then walked away

“See Edmontosaurus? He’s so bad.” He walked away, and then said nothing

And no, NO! Now the Edmontosaurus walked away... it’s trouble... leaving them behind

A dwarf new hill, spend lot of time going other side... the hill didn’t seem awful to them

Aladar leave the woods, the grass was so long... Aladar didn’t mind nobody got a bath, because he liked the grass, so long, and so growing and... the germs didn’t answer anything, but only the Joey... the kangaroo Joey answered something, “(High squeaky voice) My highness, whose eye is that? My arm destroyed... someone have to save me from here... the dinosaurs are destroyed... I’m not sick,” so said the Joey

“I will help you,” said Dimorphodon, “I will help you”

“(High squeaky voice again) Please save me! After yourself... (indecipherable) help, help, help,” they said (indecipherable)

“(High voice) So much here”

Aladar said, “No! Not really... Stegosaurus, would you help the Joey... he’s sad, and only one at the back... can you help him?”

“(High squeaky voice) I’m telling you, urgent, someone have to help me... help, help, help, help,” said the Joey, “someone have to help me! Help, help! (Indecipherable) someone have to help by saving me, help!”

It’s the voice said, “Can the mommy do,” kangaroo said, “I will help you! Baby Joey”

[Suddenly turns her attention on daddy who’s recording her: “Do you want the next? The next page... do you want me to turn the page?... Do you like this story?...

(Starts story again) There were no time (turns on daddy again) Do you, do you like this story or ya you don’t? This story I’m reading now! Do you like it or do you don’t like it?

(Daddy): I like it]

(Continues story)

There were no time but only, only things... there were no time, but only a lesson came later

[Turns on daddy again: Do you like it? Do you like this story??

Daddy: I like this story

B: No, this Maiasaura one, do you like it or you don’t like it?

D: I like it, you continue with it]

(Continues story)

There were no time, but only a dinosaur came near them

Then all the dinosaurs boomed out, then they, then Joey said, “(High squeaky voice) Someone have to help me, help! Help! Help!”

There were no time...

So they got mom and things and other thingies but they were not so long

There were no time but only a boom, then there was a.. there no time but, there were no time to look outside the night

Then it Maisaura, singing around them

“So, do you want to start again?” said Aladar

“Yes, I like to! Pleeeeease!”

No comments: