I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Wednesday 1 August 2007

What an adventure! late-July 07*

I've been trying to clear the backlog of stories on my mp3 recorder. I've only got 3 more to go now, (of course she's bound to add to that tomorrow!) plus one on the videocam. These newer stories show a subtle change in her stories again - more varied characters and much longer sentences.

LATEST UPDATE: THIS STORY IS NOW FULLY TRANSCRIBED

(Entire section below in a very quiet whispering voice)
“Come, come... you have to be careful”
“Why?”
“Because there are (indecipherable) behind the (rumbling thunder obscures whispering) and find the giraffe... you haven’t been found”
“Down (indecipherable), be down a bit”
And they tiptoed, and they finally meet a bigger place
And there was a bigger place, the finally meet, and find the gap, by the bench
They tiptoed, and tiptoed
(Switched back to normal volume)
Argentinosaurs lived long, looong ago
And they were still talking, they were still talking
(Sings) “ON YOUR BENCH! I’M A POOR WOMAN!”
And they tiptoed and saw a poor woman, who lying in a bed
Right messed up, and her toy messed up, she have a little prickle bush, inside her garden
She don’t want to touch it, it might be full of prickles...
Did they haven’t get on it (singsong)
They tiptoed, and sing again, “YOU CAN’T SEE THAT”
And they tiptoed along, and singing down the tune that I made up
And singing down the tune again
And he sang, “I HAVEN’T GET ON MY BUSH!!!! YOU CAN’T SEE IT, DO RE MI FA SO LA TI” (singing)
They tiptoed and they sang the (indecipherable)
Said “you can’t see it”, and they made up the tune again
And were still walking
And they were still tiptoing, and still walking
They tiptoed along the prickle bush
And was out of sight, and he said, “IS THIS A PRICKLE BUSH?? No, it’s not a prickle bush, it’s not a prickle bush!”
“It’s not a prickle bush”, said Aladar, hiding up the stairs and thinking about the words
“It’s here, it’s your favourite things! Your favourite things, have been found! Found, long, long ago. They have died”, said Aladar
“NO!” said (couldnt catch dino name here) “YOU HAVEN’T! You have to go to bed!!! Go HOME!!!!”
And she was so sad (very sad voice), and she went home
She said, “Now no noy nee, you can’t see it, and is ooon the mess!” (singing)
Chapter Three, Dwarf tells about things have been and didn’t yet
“He haven’t see it!” said Prince Caspian
The trumpet went off
Said, “Nope, I can’t!”
He was playing a game, and his brother tuned out
(Indecipherable) and said, “let’s play a different game, I don’t like this game”
So he start to put them all away
“BUT I LIKE IT!!”
“NO! I don’t like it!” said the children, climbing out this part and hanging about the woods
“You can’t see it!”
“I mean toying it”
(Sings) “It’s not so funny like you”
Not so funny like him
Not so funny
The funnies have been covered in the nursery rhymes
(I LOVE THIS LINE!)
Lived happily ever after, theee end
They haven’t get there, it was a morning day
A morning at the daylight
The daylight punched... brachiosaurus, argentinosaurus, giganotosaurus,nodosaurus, argentinosaurus, nodosaurus... to argentina...
(I think the next contain made up words, not merely indecipherable)
Towench, toisheritoy, tight, white, trumpet, Aladar, tyent...
“Is it have a lift?” said Aladar
“No, it not have a lift, such a bit”
And he said, “Is this the way we are going?”
“Nine, such place?... who are not? Another nine to a place”
“Toisheritoy? Twice, tight.... night, tight...twice...toisheritoys”
They lived happily ever after, theee end
Maybe have been covered in the nursery rhymes, and Aladar said, “Do you really find your home?.... Is this your home?”
Nope, this is not my home. I’ve got a friend in my home.”
“WHAT??????”
“I have no more friends to play with, so I leave my brother like a friend”
Twice, tight
Chapter One, Dwarf, Prince Caspian
Trumpet! Dwarf, Aladar, corythosaurus, eint, tyent, toisheritoys, seven eight, nine eight, ten eight, twice...
(Sings) They live happily ever after...
Chapter Four. The Dwarf helped twice, a Trumpet
Trumpets have been covered in the (indecipherable) in the morning
“And I’m so in the morning, the morning day” and Trumpet said
“Is this a long, long journey?” said Aladar
Aladar said, “This a long, long journey, to a capital hill”
“Nope, not capital bill”
“It’s been a long journey... a long journey”, said Aladar
And trumpet said “no! Let’s not go to capital hill, because it’s a tiresome trip to go”
And Aladar said, “It’s not a tiresome trip to know!”
And Trumpet said, “It’s so tiresome! It’s so tiresome! I’ve done it so many times!! When we have gone there, it’s so tiresome!”
“I even tell you”, said corythosaurus, “I even tell you so many times, that also!”
They, they said...Trumpet said, “NOPE! NO THANK YOU!!! I don’t have a present... I, I hang my present on the road and it’s so high up, I can’t reach it....Pteranodon put it back there... I have to cross to another.....PTERANODON!!!!!! CAN YOU HELP ME TO FLY UP THERE AND GET IT??? Get my present??”
He did show them, they heard, they did find and they get his shirt and they find a way out
(Sings) “WHERE ARE YOU, WOMAN SO SAD, SO SAD....”
They tiptoed along, and (indecipherable) out, and someone was singing that
And they get out from the place
And he said, (sings) “NO ONE YOU’VE SEEN, NO MAN... THERE JYE JEE GOINNNNGGG”
They ran out from here, they get out and find a little way
And get out all the things, so many dark parts, have to be careful... the darkness
And they said (whispers) “Let’s tiptoe through it”
(Whispers) they tiptoed along... tiptoed... said Trumpet, “you must be careful....at the dark, you have to tiptoe carefully, it’s so dark...”’
(Still whispering) Tiptoe, tiptoe.... they turned around
(Normal voice) “These are talking”, said t-rex, “and the bees are talking!”
(Whiny voice) “This is all mud! (indecipherable phrase)”

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

This story is AWESOME! This is reminding me of the daughter of someone who works at my company - she was reading (with parent) very long complex stories very young, and has gone on to become a published author also quite young. Check her out at http://www.adorasvitak.com