I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Sunday 26 August 2007

The Story within the Story, Part 2 - 2007-08-10*

This story continues the approach of the former, and includes two levels of dialogue, between Aladar and his friends, and the dialogue within the story that Aladar is writing/reading.


“Aladar’s Adventure, Long, long ago....”

Sitting there, “Are you ready?”

Said Aladar, “See another icon, say how old... at long, long ago...” said at “however, where’s the king?”

“Yes!” said Aladar, “I’m ready. What do you want from me?”

“I want something! I have to told you... do you want to go to the swimming pool or not?”

“Oh no.....” said, said, said, said Aladar, “I don’t want to! Because she ordered.”

“Do you want to go to the playground swimming pool? Or the playground? Or stay home?”

“Home.....”

“Yes! We’re doing home”

Then Aladar said, “No way, I don’t want to go home. I want to do something else.”

“Then what??”

“Uhm... well, something Aladar’s new adventure came,” said Aladar, “my new adventure. I go to a new adventure”

“Aladar’s New Adventure, at Noon Time”

“I know I can wear it,” said Aladar

“Yeah... oh no, oh nooo,” said Aladar, “oh no!”

“Ignore it!”

“Run away!”

“Aladar!” said Corythosaurus, “is this not ready????.... is this not ready yet?? Aladar?”

“No! I’m ready here.” Then he came down and the others said, “Take it”

“Aladar!!” said Corythosaurus, stretching out a icon he have used again

“DO YOU some smell chocolate?”

“He know.... that I bring some chocolate for you! For you can eat later”

“UGHHH! Chocolate!! YUK!! This don’t like chocolate, I’m a dinosaur!!..... I hate it,” said Aladar

And Corythosaurus, “I eat chocolate!”

“Alright! What do you want? .... to burst it...”

“Nothing, just need a pencil, come... thought we must eat today”

“What?....What is sand? This also sand”

“(Shocked sound) I’m a human, I don’t eat sand.....ugh, not eat GRAAAASS... not eat grass and not eat sand.... not eat graaaass, and not eat sand, (indecipherable), but I eat only cabbage”

“Alright!” said Aladar, “what do you want? I’m eating here...what do you want? Yes or no?....”

“What things they, everything in it, its quartenary”

“Quartenary is.... what is it?”

(long silence)

Silence.... silence.... “Aladaaar.... go with us... is this a reading journey?”

“Yes and no... how can it, (shocked sound), Mater came!!!”

“Aladar... no”

“Tish,” said Aladar, to a penguin... to a car.... penguin car

“(LOUD shocked noise) Penguin car???? Wow!!!!”

“Shhhh” answered Aladar, “a penguin car”, and he led him all over the back

“ALLLLRIGHT!” said Corythosaurus, “and you didn’t know my name although (indecipherable).... I’ll talk to him, then (indecipherable)”

“ALRIGHT!!... (softly) I’ll do it.... yes or no?.... yes or no?.... this again (indecipherable)”

“ALADAR! Who is Aladar?? Aladar is (indecipherable)”

“COING!!”

“QUIET! I mean it!!”

Aladar paused then.... pausing now pause.... pausing now pause....

Pause (mumbling whispers) “SSSHHHH!.............Sssshhhh...”

(Long section of mumbling....)

“Aladar’s New Adventure!

Next... Aladar behind them

Aladar’s New Adventure... piece behind Aladar’s New Adventure.... Aladar’s new Adventure!

Aladar woke up! Aladar was watching new Hawaiian bench”

“Peace! Peeeace...”, said Aladar, its in a game, at the sand place long, long ago

And the house, there was a friend, “ALADAR!!”... he listened

“Peace!” said Aladar

“Peace? What peace?”

“Peace is another word for tock-tick”

“Tock-tick? Who’s tock-tick?”

(Thumping noise) “(Singing) I will be a tock-tick, I will be a tock-tick”, he singed. Then he will whistle, “I will be a tock-tick” (thumping noise stops)

And they came inside and (thumping noise again), and became a tock-tick!

“TOCK-TICK! (Sings) You have to be a tock-tick tock-tick”, he singed

Now he will whistle, says Aladar’s New Adventure!

They singed at his party, that noon... he will sing again just now

For often is at the single (indecipherable phrase)

“Yes!.... yes, yes....... YES??”

“Aladar’s New Adventure, yes? Yes?... Yes and no?... Yes?” Said Corythosaurus, “it’s time for a moment, it’s time for Aladar’s new adventure in time... ALADAAAAR!!!!” said Corythosaurus

(Sound of rustling paper)

See? He saying them... “Aladar!! Please... please speak” (softly sings and chants “please please” over and over)

No comments: