I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Thursday 30 August 2007

Aladar's letter, 2007-08-28

After clearing the backlog of stories from a couple of weeks back, I started recording again 2 nights ago. This is the first of those stories. I have a couple more recordings from the night of the 28th, then NINE recordings from the 29th alone! I thought I'd try following her around all day and recording every story she told.. there were actually 3 more, making it a total of TWELVE stories that she told on the 29th of August alone (13 including one on video), talk about manic intensity! - one that didn't record properly because daddy wasn't familiar with the recording device ;) and two more that Bethany said she didn't want me to record because they were "not ready" and "bad stories"!

All these stories continue with Aladar in the role of storyteller.

LISTEN TO THIS STORY HERE


“So, Aladar was writing a letter for his friend... you know his friend... it’s Koch Ick Kosh

(To herself) The number at is this one... hundred two is his friend’s page!

He got a book that he can show Corythosaurus his friend, and his book!

His friend is... I show to (indecipherable)... this one! His friend is Cook Behind! And his children is Push Ook... and his brother is... that is the the name of his brother! His brother is... I don’t know the name, but he’s a baby

Aladar’s also a baby, but even tinier, like... Compsognathus

“Dear old friend, I declare you to come to my highness please..

Dear old friend, I declare you to come to my highness please... no time you have it, no time... but I want you to listen, please”

“I’mmmm there...does to be to highness please”

“Never, never, never, never,” said Aladar, “I want to do gently out,” said he

“I declare you to come on to my highness please... because someone is sick, that why I’m helping him already. Dear old friend, (suddenly sings loudly) MEH NIGH DA DOO GAH!”

Aladar didn’t hear that singing before, out Aladar knew too then who was (rustling) GET OUT a pair of shoe pins

So, Aladar was not looking out first, he was not looking out after, after the... I got no bookmark

So, Aladar was not looking out for the pages, but only for a nine, a nine for something else

Chapter Three: They looked outside, Corythosaurus

Corythosaurus window was not looking out

So, Aladar was not looking out for.. for for Wizards and Pigs after the nine known open plain.. the vultures going after him, and dark near here and hills and dark narrow havens and horses..

This is Aladar, and Camarasaurus... Camarasaurus came

“Aladar, are you not looking outside in (indecipherable)”

Aladar didn’t answer, “Get out!” Then didn’t answer anything

No comments: