I first started capturing her storytelling using the video mode on our digital camera, around about April, but she soon refused to let me film her. So I tried writing her stories while she told them, using pen and paper. That lasted for only a few stories too, before she caught on. Since then, I've been recording her using a mini MP3 recorder, which is pretty unobtrusive, and transcribing the audio later. She then objected strongly to this as well... Nowadays I use a combo of MP3 and video to record her before transcribing. I only manage to record a fraction of the stories she tells. I always have a backlog of stories on the recorder that still need transcribing, as it's impossible for me to keep up with her. To help new readers, I've marked my favourite stories with a star (*), so at least you have somewhere to start if you don't know where to begin. Don't forget to check the older archives too - there are some gems in there as well!

Sunday 26 August 2007

The Story within the Story, Part 4 - 2007-08-11**

This one makes it really clear what she's been doing these past few stories, about the two levels of dialogue going on between Aladar and the story he's telling/writing/reading and Aladar and his friends. I can't believe how convoluted her storytelling has become!

Colour coding: Black is the shell story, of Aladar and his friends. Blue is the story being told by Aladar.

"Aladar’s New Adventures"

“Aladar, I’m leaving now. Aladar, are you ready?”

“No, Corythosaurus is ready”

“Sorry, I said Aladar is ready”

“I thought Aladar was sleeping?”

Aladar said, “In a moment..”

There was a pause and Corythosaurus said, “Oink?... Do you understand me?”

“Maybe Camarasaurus will help. To help you...”

“Oh! Sorry...she is sick...”

“Oh... sorry! We thought she was well”

“Can’t quite eat,” said Corythosaurus

“I went out for another adventure! Aladar’s New Adventure!” said Aladar. “My new adventure is catching out Aladar’s Corythosaurus Adventure, Aladar’s New Adventure!” he said softly, in his book.

“Said Deinonychus and find and, and help Parasaurolophus to get out from the meteorite. He used, have used, long long ago”, then Aladar said, writing a note in his book

“You were reading it. I am a car, who am I?” Aladar shouted out, “Aladar’s New Lightning Adventure!” He Aladar, writing the note of his book.

He was writing a note in his book. “They were at the center, who in the Eastern world, at Aladar’s New Adventure over at Archenland!”

For a minute or two Aladar said, “Are you bored? Are you buyed it?”

“First, Aladar... Pete”

“Pete? Who’s Pete?”

“Pete is Aladar’s New Adventure find helper, Pete can help things? Help anybody to get home again?”

“That wasn’t Aladar New Adventure. It is at long long ago and at (indecipherable) at Aladar’s new Adventure?”

“ALADAR!! NO!” said Corythosaurus

“That small things to be worried about,” said Aladar

Corythosaurus said, “No, not really. Camarasaurus will help Aladar to get up”

“Sorry, he got chicken pox, he got (indecipherable)..... he can’t help”

“Sorry,” said Corythosaurus, “I thought he was well”

“Sorry,” said Corythosaurus, “seems he’s not doing it, every day and night time, he is getting out, pitching out fever, and got chicken pox... everyday, at at noontime”

And Tyrannosaurus Rex come in the evening, at long long ago, at June. June, June that night.

“IS IT INSIDE?” said Corythosaurus

“Is is is, is the crumb inside our car?” Aladar said, in a turned voice

Corythosaurus spied on him, said “No, you can’t see it!” said Corythosaurus

Then he started going our way... “It’s... Aladar...”

“A car.... is it, is it our car? That don’t talk, don’t talk! I meant we have a talking car, and not a real car that don’t talk... we have only a talking car. Who is it?”

“I don’t know,” said Corythosaurus

“ALADAR!!!!!!!” said, said Corythosaurus shouting for him, “ARE YOU READY???”

“NO!!!!”

He was so slow, till Aladar’s New Adventure Came, at the night of Aladar’s New Adventure

“ALADAR!” said Corythosaurus, pitching out the icons at you

“CORYTHOSAURUS!”

“Aladar... not really... a night turned new..”

“1 2 3” Aladar said, (indecipherable)

“BLAST OFF!!!!” said Corythosaurus, “I win!”

They were playing a game, and Aladar said, “I’m (indecipherable) my tail... a little, little bit” Aladar thought for a moment, then he have a idea, how to find Parasaurolophus at the meteorites

“I know! Let’s ask Aladar to win!” Corythosaurus said

“Why, I know! He’s not just getting up yet, he’s just getting up... but he’s still in bed, in his pyjama pants”. He put his clothes on Aladar’s cake.

“Peace”

“There’s a talking car coming! Let me talk with car, it was Pike”

“Who’s Pike?”

“Hmmm.... who’s Pike?..... hmmm, who is it?......”

“Who is it?.... Who is Pete?... Pete? Pete? Pete is... who is Pete?...” (whispering)

“Aladar? Are you looking outside? To Aladar’s New Adventure? Two cars? All they say, understand why...”

“Yes, he was talking..” (whispering)

No comments: